"The Pearl of the North - Hansestadt Rostock" Top 5 Page for this destination Rostock by Mariajoy
Rostock Travel Guide: 149 reviews and 470 photos
An invitation to celebrate Silvester in Rostock was too good to pass up. My friend is a local Rostocker and was returning home for New Years Eve and asked me to accompany her. I had, for a long time, wanted to visit this old Hanseatic city on the Baltic with its rich and interesting history of shipping and trading going all the way back to the 12th century when it was originally a Slavic castle settlement. In fact the name Rostock comes from the Slavic word "Roztoc" meaning "flowing out of" - a reference to the River Unterwarnow.
Rostock is a city of 250,000 inhabitants - ship building and ferry services and tourism being its main industries. There are still signs in evidence of the old DDR regime but not much. Most of the old grey buildings are being modernised and renovated and repainted, giving an appearance of prosperity and vibrancy. Unfortunately, this isn't an entirely true picture, as most of the young professionals are leaving for employment in the west but Rostock has survived worse and will endure even this phase in it's history.
Here's a brief history of Rostock.
- Pros:A Fascinating History
- Cons:Not many people smile here
The bright, modern shopping centre in the middle of Rostock still had a Christmassy feel when I visited. In comparison... more travel advice
I never stayed here but my host told me that the ship is used as accommodation for young people visiting the city It's... more travel advice
Mariajoy's Related Pages
Rostock Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Rostock - Resurrection of Hanseatic Glory"
- "The Pearl of the North - Hansestadt Rostock"
- "Rostock revisited"
- "Rostock, Germany"
- "sight seeing and shoe shopping....."
- "Rostock: Lovely Old Town"
- "Two nights in Rostock"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rostock
- Hotels in Rostock
- Transportation in Rostock
- Nightlife in Rostock
- Restaurants in Rostock
- Shopping in Rostock
- Warnings and Dangers in Rostock
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rostock
- 23 Reviews
- 43 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Rostock?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rostock
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 343 reviews, 900 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 83 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Sussex Intro, 53 reviews, 172 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 57 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 47 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 35 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 31 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 24 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna 32 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Magdeburg Intro, 35 reviews, 54 photos