Brighton Sports & Outdoors Tips by Mariajoy Top 5 Page for this destination
Brighton Sports & Outdoors: 11 reviews and 9 photos
There's loads to do on Brighton beach in the summer, including windsurfing and sailing! Check the Brighton Sailing Club website for all the details about what to do and when etc.
Equipment: Check with the Sailing Club.
Address: Brighton Beach
A night at the dogs
A colleague is leaving - what can we do to make it a night to remember?? Someone had the great idea of Greyhound Racing!!!
I have never been before and this was a special package which included the coach hire for 30 odd workmates, dinner, 2 free drinks and a free bet on the dogs.
Any pre-conceived ideas I had about the type of people who go to The Dogs were quickly blown out of the window when we got there and I saw that there was a vast mix of young men and women, families, older couples, in fact a real cross section of society!!
Brighton and Hove Greyhound Stadium is open 5 days a week, 52 weeks of the year! There are several bars, a fast food restaurant (plus waiter service tables too), and a childrens playground. Of course there is also a 515 m dog racing track with 6 traps.
Equipment: You can sit upstairs in warmth and comfort on cold days and chilly evenings watching the racing - but it is MUCH more fun downstairs, trackside where you can watch the dogs being walked past by their handlers. This is where the real afficionados of the sport seem to hang out.
By the bookies stands, there is a bronze statue of Ballyregan Bob - a famous Racing Greyhound who won 32 consecutive races from 1985-86. There is more about this amazing dog on this site:
There are also the bookmakers down on the track - but the minimum bet with them is 5GBP. Upstairs the minimum bet with Coral is 1pound. I had LOTs of 1pound bets and I came home in pocket - this is just a lure to encourage newbies to the sport to come back again!! - or maybe I just got lucky!!
Some advice - All the information you need about how to make your bets,a guide to betting on the Tote, types of bet etc , how to read your ticket and how to read the Formlines can be found on the INSIDE FRONT COVER of your racecard, it does help you to understand what's going on if you have never been dog racing before!
None of my friends or I had been dog racing before and I wasn't really sure how I felt about it - but the dogs were obviously well treated and seemed happy enough!
(Oh and here's a little tip!! - bet on the dog that has just done a pooh - 'cos he/she has got a better chance of winning!! (apparently!!!))
Address: Brighton and Hove Greyhound Stdm, Nevill Rd, Hove
Phone: 01273 204601
Theme: Sports Watching
Happy breezy cyclists
A hot Sunday in the middle of June is probably not the best time to visit Brighton by car, as we discovered. This is when the the annual London to Brighton Bike Ride takes place and where thousands of cyclists ride the whole 58 miles from the city to the South coast and hold up the traffic for hours while they do so.
Equipment: A bike and a cheery smile.
But if you are in a car you will need, Ipod, chocolate, food, water, mobile phones, radio, and a map of the city centre so you can get the hell out of there PDQ before you dehydrate, die of boredom or kill your travel companion.
Address: London to Brighton
Directions: SE England
In the Summer the volleyball and basketball court are opened up to the public. Not sure if there's a payment required or if you have to book the courts in advance.
Equipment: Bring your own balls.
Address: Brighton Beach
Directions: South from the station
Theme: Beach Activities
Despite the title of this tip - I actually believe in *close your eyes and stick a pin in a name* - it will help you pick a winner as effectively as any experienced punter could!
Equipment: Racing Form Booklet. It just gives you a list of all the dogs in each race and how well they did in previous races. In my limited experience (ie once!) of dog racing, this has no bearing on who the actual winner will be!
Address: Nevill Road, Hove
Directions: Near Brighton
Phone: 01273 204 601
This looks like fun. The assistant straps the kids into harnesses and they can bounce and somersault safely on the trampolines. I should think there's an upper and lower age limit and there are probably weight restrictions too! If the kid is a real lightweight the assistant presses a button on a hand held electronic device which helps them to bounce higher! I'd love to have a go... but I think it really is just for the kids!
Equipment: No special equipment required.
Directions: On the beach by the pier
Theme: Beach Activities
More Reviews (41)
- See All Beautiful hotel on the seafront
- See All Brighton bar
- See All Make your own accessories!
Mariajoy's Related Pages
Brighton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Brighton Rocks !"
- "BRIGHTON - THE CITY THAT ATE HOVE"
- "London's naughty seaside retreat"
- "Brighton - The city by the sea"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Brighton
- Hotels in Brighton
- Transportation in Brighton
- Nightlife in Brighton
- Restaurants in Brighton
- Shopping in Brighton
- Warnings and Dangers in Brighton
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Brighton
- 47 Reviews
- 103 Photos
- 11 Forum posts
- 56 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Brighton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Brighton
Photos in BrightonSee All Photos (103)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 343 reviews, 900 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 83 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Sussex Intro, 53 reviews, 172 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 57 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 47 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 35 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Vienna Intro, 38 reviews, 71 photos, 1 travelogue
- Berlin Intro, 31 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 24 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Magdeburg Intro, 35 reviews, 54 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (37)
- Royal Pavilion- 56 Reviews, 105 Photos
- The Lanes- 16 Reviews, 19 Photos
- Palace Pier- 36 Reviews, 61 Photos
- The Beach- 29 Reviews, 36 Photos
- West Pier- 13 Reviews, 15 Photos
- Devils Dyke- 4 Reviews, 6 Photos
- Sealife Centre- 11 Reviews, 7 Photos
- The Marina- 5 Reviews, 13 Photos
- Preston Park- 1 Reviews, 1 Photos