"VT Meeting in Cambridge" Cambridge by Mariajoy
Cambridge Travel Guide: 814 reviews and 1,719 photos
PetraE and I set of from our sleepy Sussex south coast town at 7am to get to Cambridge for 11 where we had been instructed to meet Gillian ( McLaughlin) at the station. She and Jeremy (jrs1234) had planned every minute detail to the nth degree and it all ran like clockwork!
She met the first arrivals, Me, PetraE and Jo104 at Cambridge Station (useless fact - this station has the longest platform in the UK!) and we set off towards the Cambridge Botanical Gardens to meet other members (Iver and Suet).
After perusing the ducks, spring flowers and almost disappearing up our own lenses, we continued on to the lovely Anchor Pub in Cambridge for lunch and to meet yet more VT members, Bernishand and her family, and Mar1956tin, Natalie and Chris (nhcram and her husband, chrishc) and alucas (Andrew) and his wife. It was great to meet new VTer Pocketpiglet (Adri) who also arrived at this time.
The lunch here was absolutely delicious and once fortified, we were able to take our places in a 12-seater punt for the 45 minute trip up and down the River Cam. Jeremy and Gillian followed sedately on foot and took photos of us from the bridges above, while we sat in comfort, being informed by our lovely Punter/guide Laura about the history of the buildings all around us.
45 minutes later, we had photographed every bridge, building, duck and each other several times and, having been rammed in our punt a few times our nerves were shattered, (just the hazards of Easter weekend on the Cam with inexperienced punters). Half frozen, we again entered the welcome warmth and ambience of the lovely Anchor pub, where we met Grets (though only briefly!)
After a lovely hot drink and some chocolate mini eggs (thanks Gillian - but you know I don't eat chocolate ;-)) we unfortunately had to leave the group to enjoy the rest of the day in Cambridge whilst we made our looooong journey back to the south coast. It was a fantastic day! Thanks guys!!
- Pros:Cambridge is a beautiful, historic city - not to be missed
- Cons:Can't think of any!
- In a nutshell:Lovely.
Opened in 1846, this is a lovely place to have a wander, (in fact 40 acres!!) a chat, admire the plants and waterbirds.... more travel advice
Written Mar 27, 2005
VTers in the Botanical Gardens
Written Mar 27, 2005
Random Punters Punting Pics
Mariajoy's Related Pages
Cambridge Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Just a few Bits about Cambridge"
- "City of cycles and Colleges"
- "Cambridge - My temporary UK hometown"
- "My Home Town!"
- "Oxford is a complete arse...."
- "Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England"
- "Cambridge student haven"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cambridge
- Hotels in Cambridge
- Transportation in Cambridge
- Nightlife in Cambridge
- Restaurants in Cambridge
- Shopping in Cambridge
- Warnings and Dangers in Cambridge
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cambridge
- 6 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 8 Forum posts
- 15 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Cambridge?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cambridge
Photos in CambridgeSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 343 reviews, 900 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 83 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Sussex Intro, 53 reviews, 172 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 57 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 47 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 35 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 31 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 24 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna 32 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Magdeburg Intro, 35 reviews, 54 photos