"Guilfest - Annual Music Festival in Stoke Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Guildford by Mariajoy

Guildford Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 219 photos

This isn't really a page about Guildford - I have only been here twice and each time we just drive through the town and out to Stoke Park.

I wrote this after last year's visit to Guilfest but this year it isn't strictly true - of course I can say I have been here 3 times now (or is it 4??) but the bit about "just driving through" is definitely not true at all because THIS year (2006) we stayed in the city centre in a YMCA and actually spent a couple of hours in the town! So, updates are required and will be made asap!

Guildford is a town in England much like any other - a high street full of *chains* - unrecognisable from dozens of others. It does have a nice river where we sat once and watched a bunch of chavs muckin about in the way that chavs do.

BUT... once a year it holds a brilliant music festival and Petra and I decided to do Guilfest again this year as Tom Baxter was playing and we think he is fabulous. So this page is more about the festival than the actual town.

Guilfest 2006

This year the festival was bigger than ever with over 20,000 people. We were told by a friendly local cabbie that it has been going since 1992 but last year was the first time they had actually made a profit.

• Pros:Guilfest
  • Cons:It's a town in Surrey
  • In a nutshell:Go to Guilfest
  • Last visit to Guildford: Jul 2006
  • Intro Updated Jul 17, 2006

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2007 at 10:52 AM

OK, I had heard of the Guilfest (great that you're so enthusiastic!) but I had no idea what a Pimms Bus was. That YMCA looks really up-market, at least compared to the ones I used to stay at in the States.

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Excellent accomodation tip! We also have lots of open air festivals in Switzerland in summer.

• Jul 18, 2006 at 12:48 AM

nice tattoo style. I'd like to listen to Take On Me live too!!!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 11:42 PM

So glad you found a friend to pack!

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 12:53 PM

Phhhewww, fantastic and very detailed new accomodation tip ...to be honest, I never stayed in any accomodation in Britain and Irleand which wasn't equipped with tea making facilities ... :-)

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 12:43 PM

Should not you lot be staying at the Y.W.C.A.? :o)

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jul 17, 2006 at 11:44 AM

Great stuff mrs M, and i notice you were so close top the front of the stage as well, i know, i know your hearing is not what it used to be LOL

• jo104's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2006 at 9:52 AM

So thats where the PPP comes from now was this shot before or after the magic mushrooms ??

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2006 at 5:24 AM

Wait...magic mushrooms..in a bacon toastie. Fascinating.

• hotlipz's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2006 at 3:06 PM

Magic Mushrooms huh? Guildford has a lot of them - in fact they grow next to my local pub but to be honest I'd rather go in the pub and grab a decent pint :)

Badges & Stats in Guildford

Have you been to Guildford?