"Gardens of Glass at Kew" Top 5 Page for this destination Kew Gardens by Mariajoy

Kew Gardens Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 345 photos

My Dad first brought me to Kew gardens years ago - entry for a child back then was 1p. Today things have changed a bit - Nowadays children go FREE!! It is a really lovely place to go for a day out and there's loads for children to do. It's a great place for a picnic too, take a blanket and a bottle of wine, some sandwiches and enjoy nature in the city :)

When I first came here it poured with rain - we spent hours in the Palm House and the Temperate House and I don't remember seeing anyone else there.

On the way home we saw an icecream van - I pleaded with my Dad to let me have one - but there were three of us kids - and the budget for a day out back then couldn't stretch to icecream as well. Funny the things we remember.

I went to Kew this time mostly because I wanted to see the most stunningly beautiful glass exhibition - the work of Dale Chihuly. There are over 25 installations in and around the gardens, in the glass houses and in the lake. Each one is breathtaking and intricately formed. The exhibition is on from 28th May 05 to 15th January 06. If you are in London, try to make a visit here.

Oh and disabled visitors are VERY well catered for here - almost every area is accessible by wheelchair.

For more information about Kew Gardens and what's on check out their website:

Kew Gardens

The artist Dale Chihuly permits and encourages photography of the artwork in this exhibition for educational and non-commercial use only.

I will put more photos of the exhibits in a travelogue.

• Pros:The work of Dale Chihuly
  • Cons:Can't think of any - its wonderful!
  • In a nutshell:If you are in London GO and see it !
  • Last visit to Kew Gardens: Jun 2005
  • Intro Updated Feb 13, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2009 at 1:29 PM

These are beautiful pictures and the gardens seem wonderful. We also got to see Chihuly works a couple of times and brought home a "souvenir"; pretty as it is

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    May 19, 2008 at 10:52 AM

Oh yes, I also need to add Kew Gardens to my wishlist :-)) Is Nemo still there? And yes, ma'm, I'll wear not too much to make sure I won't fall from the iron staircase and create a mess at the bottom :-)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Feb 28, 2008 at 1:16 AM

I'm sort of glassy-eyed from looking at your travelogues on the glass installations and the 19th century greenhouses. Kew looks like the Palmengarten here in Frankfurt, but bigger. I always like places that don't have huge long queues to get in.

• Agraichen's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2008 at 8:10 PM

Takes me back to my solo trip from London to Kew in 1970. None of my travel colleagues wished to go... I wish Chihuly's creations had been there back then. His work is amazing.

• adeeltahir's Profile Photo
    Jun 1, 2007 at 12:06 PM

nice photoes of kew gardens. THESE ARE JUST LIKE YOU ARE THERE. In Pakistan, most of the offices close on Sunday only. So Sunday is our week end. Have a nice week end

• Patje's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Kew gardens is indeed a pardise!

• diosh's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2007 at 7:35 AM

Weren't those glass installations wonderful?We live just down the road but entry cost is so prohibitive now.I used to take the boys,10p for me!

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Mar 6, 2007 at 10:55 AM

Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Kew last year when I lived in Northolt. But I've been there once before :))

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Dec 7, 2006 at 11:35 AM

Yep, I'm doing my best to work my way through any place where I can eat cake or have a creamed tea ; )

• jo104's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2006 at 10:04 AM

Thanks will change that, the wallabies are new I think they are doing more on the conservation angle but its a side I've not been to at all before

Badges & Stats in Kew Gardens

Have you been to Kew Gardens?

Latest Activity in Kew Gardens