"Lewes Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Lewes by Mariajoy
Lewes Travel Guide: 48 reviews and 125 photos
PetraE and I went to Lewes to buy her a new cello. We popped in to her mum and dad's lovely home for a coffee and a kit kat and a little chat before we set off to look for The Academy Music Shop in the town. She showed off her musical prowess on the cello and I listened as she played Seven Nation Army and Edelweiss for a while in the basement and in the end she took one on approval (a large honey coloured model.) Rather than carry the cello up the steep slope to the castle we said we would call back for it later .After a vegetarian all day breakfast for me and a tuna bap for her we went up to Lewes Castle (Norman) (£4.50 for adults), owned by The Sussex Archaeological Society.
The views over Petra's home town were stunning and she could point out her old dentists, pubs she frequented as a teenager, and the cafe where she used to work on saturdays, etc etc. This was of course entirely fascinating for me, the visitor. You can climb up The Barbican and The Keep (lots of steps, hang on to the rope and your camera, digicams seem to become strangely slippery don't they?). In the museum are all kinds of interesting little artefacts from various archeological digs in the area, prehistoric, Roman,Medieval etc. You know, the usual bits of old bones, bits of terracota pots, lumps of rock and beads and bits of flint. The boar tusks found locally held a modicum of interest though.
On the way back we picked up the cello and carried it through the town without mishap only pausing to buy a vegetable samosa and a piece of carrot cake in a nice little organic shop. On the way home in the car we listened to Damien Rice and I had a piece of tiffin to sustain me on the long journey.
- Pros:Interesting historical Sussex town. Great for second-hand shops
- Cons:Steep and hilly lanes and roads. Too much traffic for a little town.
- In a nutshell:Pleasant enough.
Same gig - one year later.. David Ford at All Saints arts centre in Lewes - £5 for a ticket to see this much talent is... more travel advice
Mariajoy's Related Pages
Lewes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "LEWES - 'IT'S NICER THAN BRIGHTON!'"
- "Great Town"
- "The Paddock, Lewes, East Sussex, England"
- "Lewes Castle"
- "1066 Norman Castle & Tudor Anne of Cleaves House"
- "Lewes- Burning the Pope every November"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lewes
- Hotels in Lewes
- Transportation in Lewes
- Nightlife in Lewes
- Restaurants in Lewes
- Shopping in Lewes
- Warnings and Dangers in Lewes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lewes
- 3 Reviews
- 10 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Lewes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lewes
Photos in LewesSee All Photos (10)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 343 reviews, 900 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 83 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Sussex Intro, 53 reviews, 172 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 57 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 47 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 35 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 31 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 24 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna 32 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Magdeburg Intro, 35 reviews, 54 photos