"Lewes Castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Lewes by Mariajoy

Lewes Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 123 photos

Lewes

PetraE and I went to Lewes to buy her a new cello. We popped in to her mum and dad's lovely home for a coffee and a kit kat and a little chat before we set off to look for The Academy Music Shop in the town. She showed off her musical prowess on the cello and I listened as she played Seven Nation Army and Edelweiss for a while in the basement and in the end she took one on approval (a large honey coloured model.) Rather than carry the cello up the steep slope to the castle we said we would call back for it later .After a vegetarian all day breakfast for me and a tuna bap for her we went up to Lewes Castle (Norman) (£4.50 for adults), owned by The Sussex Archaeological Society.

The views over Petra's home town were stunning and she could point out her old dentists, pubs she frequented as a teenager, and the cafe where she used to work on saturdays, etc etc. This was of course entirely fascinating for me, the visitor. You can climb up The Barbican and The Keep (lots of steps, hang on to the rope and your camera, digicams seem to become strangely slippery don't they?). In the museum are all kinds of interesting little artefacts from various archeological digs in the area, prehistoric, Roman,Medieval etc. You know, the usual bits of old bones, bits of terracota pots, lumps of rock and beads and bits of flint. The boar tusks found locally held a modicum of interest though.

On the way back we picked up the cello and carried it through the town without mishap only pausing to buy a vegetable samosa and a piece of carrot cake in a nice little organic shop. On the way home in the car we listened to Damien Rice and I had a piece of tiffin to sustain me on the long journey.

• Pros:Interesting historical Sussex town. Great for second-hand shops
  • Cons:Steep and hilly lanes and roads. Too much traffic for a little town.
  • In a nutshell:Pleasant enough.
  • Last visit to Lewes: Mar 2004
  • Intro Written Mar 27, 2004

Travelogues (1)

• alucas's Profile Photo
    Sep 8, 2007 at 12:43 PM

I like Lewes, it's an interesting little town. Visited there from my uncle's in Hove.

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Lovely picture of Lewes. I'll be hiking around this area over the weekend.

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2006 at 11:09 AM

SO version made me cry so this one should as well...Good stuff

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2005 at 4:17 AM

It's been years since I last went with anyone to buy a new cello. Did you spend the whole day eating your vegetarian breakfast, or do they just serve it all day? Sounds like a nice town except for the traffic.

• themajor's Profile Photo
    Sep 21, 2005 at 9:26 AM

Excellent snap of Lewes Maria. I enjoyed your tip. Keep 'em wanting more, that's what I say!

• sue_stone's Profile Photo
    Sep 16, 2005 at 11:16 AM

Hope the rain clears and you can continue on this page! Looks like a very pretty place.

• May 31, 2005 at 11:44 AM

Lewes... I love this town dearly... But you are right, why do they need so many charity shops there? :-)

• seamus_waldr's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2004 at 11:19 AM

Lewes is a great place......have you been for Guy Fawkes night? Can't beat the festivities, especially when they blow up the Pope ;-)

• MURRA's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 11:47 AM

great foto

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2004 at 10:14 AM

Another brilliant photo and a very nice story .... thanks a lot for sharing .... :o)

Badges & Stats in Lewes