"Maybe it's Because I'm A Londoner...." Top 5 Page for this destination London by Mariajoy

London Travel Guide: 23,665 reviews and 50,355 photos

....that I LOVE London Town!

CONGRATULATIONS LONDON!!! - OLYMPICS 2012

I was born in Hackney, in the east end of London but moved to Malta with my family a year or so later. I came back to London on various occasions as a child to visit family and eventually we settled in North London when I was a teenager. Later we moved to SE London from where I commuted to central London for work and where I eventually married and had my own children.

A brief word about this page......

I make no apologies for this page being so big.. how can it not be huge? With a population of over 7 million people and covering 620 square miles, it's the biggest capital city in Europe - of course it's gonna be BIG and will keep on growing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even though I live on the south coast now I am just a train ride away and often in London for shopping, seeing friends, concerts, theatre, VT meetings etc etc! In fact just about any excuse will get me there! It really is a cosmopolitan and tolerant city, you can be whoever you want to be here.
Considering it's enormity and the vast ethnic mix living here, it really is a peaceful city too. Nothing and nobody would ever be able to put me off visiting this fabulous, vibrant city and I am lucky that I live so close. I am very proud to call myself a Londoner - and in fact a true Cockney.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

London calling, yes I was there too
An' you know what they said - well some of it was true!
London calling at the top of the dial
An' after all this, won't you give me a smile?

London Calling - The Clash

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few useful websites for visitors to London

Quickmap - brilliant site showing the locations of London attractions, restaurants, shopping and hotel areas etc. Right click on your mouse to zoom in!

Transport for London for all the information you will need about tickets and timetables for buses, trains, tubes, DLR (Docklands Light Railway), and cabs

An invaluable resource for travellers looking for cheap accommodation in London can be found here London Budget Accommodation

For information about accessible travel across the city, phone Transport for London 020 7222 1234

Streetsensation.co.uk A great site to help you find shops and your way around the streets of central London

Londontown.com a really useful site for accommodation, attractions, theatres and events in the city!

All in London a guide to what's going on in different London boroughs.

View London to get info on all kinds of entertainment in the capital.

Greater London Authority(GLA)

City of London Excellent site giving info specifically about the Square Mile.

London Eating for restaurant recommendations and reviews and much more!

Gumtree.com "London's online community" for anyone hoping to stay a little longer in the city and looking for accommodation and jobs etc.

Untold London a website dedicated to the study of history of the different cultures within the capital.

Streetsensation has loads of info including the opening times and nearest tube stations for all the London Markets

The Greater London Industrial Archaeological Society website is a great resource for finding information about the industrial history of London.

This is an interesting website:
Derelict London
you'll find pictures here of the London that is away from the theatres, lights and tourist spots...
(the place where I was born is also amongst these photos of my home town)

And just for a laugh.... Goin' Underground Everything you never needed to know about the London Underground!

• Pros:It's all good (but I am biased!! :))
  • Cons:Even the cons are good!
  • In a nutshell:The greatest city in the world
  • Last visit to London: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 19, 2008

• ettiewyn's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2011 at 11:23 PM

Great page, I really got lost here! I love that there are so many "insider" tips, I added some things to my VT trip planner that I had never heard about before! Also thank you for all the useful links.
    I see you are not much active on VT at the moment, I hope you'll still read my comment and know that your page was helpful :-)

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Jul 23, 2011 at 8:24 PM

Maria.. we're planning our London trip and I found your pages and tips to be extremely helpful. Thanks.. Tom

• TheLongTone's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Automatic shoes, automatic shoes, give me 3-d vision and the California blues. Used to live near that tree, a very nasty bit of road.

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Great stuff

• SleepingInSeattle's Profile Photo
    Sep 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Hey Maria,i'm a Texan living in Seattle who digs the weather here ,reminds me of England,but it's boring!Did London a few years ago and am considering moving there. Great page! Will definitely be hittin' you up for info! Your new friend ,teddy.

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2009 at 4:45 PM

Maria, for my sins I am now the tip editor for London (and a few other places!) Just found your tip on the Grosvener and was appalled that there was a London pub I didm;t know. Hope you are well, we have not spoken for a while. fergy.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Maria. I'm done with my newest London page updates. Have a look; I'm open to proofreader comments :) PJ

• Jan 6, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Excellent info on your page. I'll be checking it again since I am visiting soon:) thanks

• HORSCHECK's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 1:58 PM

Two new tips on one day. I have to mark this in my calender. Well done.

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Dec 13, 2008 at 3:37 AM

Hello, Maria! Thanks for your lively description that made me feel I was there...I enjoy reading your brilliant pages!

Mariajoy Was Born Here!