"Historic, Medieval Rye" Top 5 Page for this destination Rye by Mariajoy
Rye Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 265 photos
Rye is a beautiful little town on the Sussex-Kent borders (officially Sussex). As one of the Cinque Ports it had a history of smuggling, piracy and wrecking. The Cinque ports, Hastings, Dover, Romney Hythe, Rye were exempt from national taxation, had the right to rule themselves and had their own juducial system (in the 13th & 14th Century!!). .
Today Rye is a pretty little place full of interesting, arty, antique/junk shops, cafes, restaurants and lovely old pubs - each with their own stories of ghosts and smugglers.
It is an incredibly popular place with tourists from the continent (it is on route from Dover) and during the summer parking is at a premium (you can get here by train). Streets here are narrow and cobbled and steep.
- Pros:Lots of history and interesting little places to discover
- Cons:It can get very very busy in the summer
- In a nutshell:It's a nice day out
Every visitor, who is physically able to, should visit the historic Mermaid Street. With houses called "The House with... more travel advice
This church has such an amazing history spanning 900 years! - including murder amongst the grave stones and French... more travel advice
Mariajoy's Related Pages
Rye Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Historic, Medieval Rye"
- "Rye - East Sussex Gem"
- "Historic Sussex Town on the Kent Border"
- "A Night and Day in Rye"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rye
- Hotels in Rye
- Transportation in Rye
- Nightlife in Rye
- Restaurants in Rye
- Shopping in Rye
- Warnings and Dangers in Rye
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rye
- 26 Reviews
- 49 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (54)
Have you been to Rye?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rye
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination London Intro, 343 reviews, 900 photos, 7 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Amsterdam Intro, 83 reviews, 174 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination East Sussex Intro, 53 reviews, 172 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dublin Intro, 57 reviews, 95 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brighton Intro, 47 reviews, 103 photos, 1 travelogue
- Copenhagen Intro, 35 reviews, 75 photos, 3 travelogues
- Berlin Intro, 31 reviews, 78 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Potsdam Intro, 24 reviews, 71 photos, 2 travelogues
- Vienna 32 reviews, 60 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Magdeburg Intro, 35 reviews, 54 photos