"The Electric Picnic - Stradbally" Stradbally by Mariajoy

Stradbally Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 44 photos

Last of the Summer Music Festival in Co Laois

With a line up of bands and musicians too good to miss, Petra and I decided that our summer hols woudn't be complete without a trip to the Emerald Isles to the last of the summer music festivals.

Carrying rucksacks way heavier than they should have been, we took a flight from Heathrow with Aer Lingus on Thursday and stayed in Dublin overnight, caught a train to Portlaoise the next day and set up our tents like happy little campers, just in time to catch the first of the gigs of the festival on Friday afternoon (and just before the first rain shower started too!)

A weekend of mud and craziness ensued - but I wouldn't have missed it for the world - and it seems nor would 120,000 other festival goers.

• Pros:The best line up I have ever seen
  • Cons:festival loos are not for the faint hearted
  • In a nutshell:More fun than you can possibly know what to do with!
  • Last visit to Stradbally: Aug 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 11, 2006

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2007 at 3:22 AM

Very nostalgic.... brings back memories of many a muddy festival from my long gone festival days.......Now our son does it for us in Serbia in temps of 100 f.

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2007 at 7:43 AM

so much fun - in the mud

• yumyum's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2006 at 10:57 AM

I've never heard of this festival before. Seems you had a ball!

• barryg23's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2006 at 12:32 PM

I went to school with a few fellows from Stradbally. Never thought I'd see a VT page about it:)

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2006 at 10:38 PM

Haha, I like your hotel tips :-) Well, I have to go to my music shop for Damien Rice CDs now.

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2006 at 1:15 PM

Nice page dedicated to music. Only clips are missing here :)

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 12, 2006 at 2:53 PM

Great photos of the singers! You must have got a lot closer to the stage than I did (I was in Verona at about the same time, LOL). Strange about that sheep's skull.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2006 at 2:06 PM

MUD? PJ

• bugulma's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 10:57 PM

looks like cool festival :-) well, i am not big expert in musicians but most of them in your list seems known to me :-) now i know them by sight :-)

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2006 at 10:41 AM

I remember being on a gurney once being wheeled down a hospital hallway. Two doctors where pushing said gurney. I looked up at them and said, "I don't remember Woodstock being like this!" They just smiled.

Badges & Stats in Stradbally

Have you been to Stradbally?