"Ellensburg - Known for CWU and the Rodeo" Ellensburg by JAFA-Rease
Ellensburg Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 22 photos
Ellensburg is a nice little city nestled in the foothills of the Cascade mountains. It is know primarily for it's annual rodeo and Central Washington University (CWU).
The city has 3 police stations (state, county, city, campus). It is almost always very windy. It also has an almost disgusting number of coffee shops, but hey, it's the Pacific Northwest right ; ) Ellensburg is slowly turning into a commuter town for Seattle.
Ellensburg was considered as a competitor for state capital until the "great fire of eburg". (a whole three buildings burned to the ground) As a result they were pulled from the competition.
- In the early 1900's Eburg decided it needed to make a name for itself. The city had a large portion of land which flooded every year due to mountain water runoff in the spring. So, the town purchased the land (at a very cheap price), all of the residents of the town closed up shop and put things on hold for a weekend, and they diverted the river by hand to keep the land from flooding every spring. They then established the "Ellensburg Rodeo" grounds with the property.
- Pros:A relatively quiet little city
- Cons:WAY too much wind!
- In a nutshell:I get to visit occassionally as I have relatives here
Lion's Rock is located just north of Ellensburg. It's has a nice little camping area, offers lots of hiking... more travel advice
JAFA-Rease's Related Pages
Ellensburg Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Chimpanzee and Human Communication Institute"
- "Ellensburg - Known for CWU and the Rodeo"
- "Quaint & Pretty"
- "mearsk's Ellensburg Page"
- "The berg of Ellen"
- "Passing through Ellensburg"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ellensburg
- Hotels in Ellensburg
- Transportation in Ellensburg
- Nightlife in Ellensburg
- Restaurants in Ellensburg
- Warnings and Dangers in Ellensburg
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ellensburg
- 2 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Ellensburg?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ellensburg
Photos in EllensburgSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Kirkuk Intro, 28 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Spangdahlem Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Philippsheim Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Bendorf-Sayn Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- La Grande Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ellensburg Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naches Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Turkey Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo