"La Grande - A nice quiet little city" La Grande by JAFA-Rease
La Grande Travel Guide: 11 reviews and 15 photos
A nice little city nestled in the foothills of the blue mountain range. The locals are all very friendly, and there's no crime to speak of. (except the first armed robbery of the year that we narrowly avoided) It's the kind of town where the locals still pull together to build things for the community. Such as the huge playground recently built at Riverside park. It's still what small town America used to be. Depending on how things develop, I would even consider it as a place for retirement. I'd definitely consider it as a good place to raise a family.
La Grande's roots go back to the Oregon Trail. It sits in the foothills of the cascade mountain range just south of the Columbia river. Founded as a logging community What is now La Grande is technically still two towns, La Grande and "Island City". Until 1900's the two towns were separated by runnoffs and floods.
La Grande is the county seat for northeastern Washington. In the early 1900's La Grande and Union city were competing for the railroad which runs (rather loudly) through La Grande. At one point some residents of La Grande snuck in and "stole" Union's plans to get the railroad. As a result there is stilll some resentment by members of Union.
La Grande is also home to Eastern Oregon University Rated as the #2 University for value of expense to quality of education in the USA It graduated 800 folks this year, and has a nice campus to take a stroll through.
- Pros:A great place to raise a family
- Cons:The trains can be annoying (especially at night)
- In a nutshell:I really enjoyed my time here!
On the outskirts of La Grande you can find it's first house. Copy of text from the monument next to it: La Grande was... more travel advice
JAFA-Rease's Related Pages
La Grande Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "La Grande - A nice quiet little city"
- "oneonta_ni's new La Grande page"
- "Where I hang my hat now!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in La Grande
- Hotels in La Grande
- Restaurants in La Grande
- Warnings and Dangers in La Grande
- See All...
Badges & Stats in La Grande
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to La Grande?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in La Grande
Photos in La GrandeSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Kirkuk Intro, 28 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Spangdahlem Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Philippsheim Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Bendorf-Sayn Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- La Grande Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ellensburg Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naches Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Turkey Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo