"Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar" Qatar by JAFA-Rease
Qatar Travel Guide: 732 reviews and 2,081 photos
Yet another location that I didn't exactly plan to travel to ; ) Obviously I can't tell much about Al Udied. I can say that I spent a few days there (which were somewhat annoying).
I found it very challenging to get my connecting flight. I spent a great deal of time in the air terminal pictured on the right, along with many others. I have to say that it was the most interesting air terminal I've ever been in. Us military folks can leave behind some fairly entertaining graffiti. At least I had something to read ; )
Having just arrived in Qatar from Germany, where it was cold and raining (typical German weather...), stepping off of the plane into 120 degree weather was quite a shock.
It didn't help much that I had to lug around a number of large bags full of heavy gear and my M-16.
The sunlight was so bright, and the air was so hot that my eyes actually "fogged" up. For the first few minutes my eyes would tear up on leaving a building and I would be nearly blind. Another first...
The most memorable moment was when one the the folks scheduling flight got just a little frustrated. With it being so hot in Qatar, water is free. There are a large number of folks moving through the terminal at all times and the water goes fast. So, the folks working the terminal rely on passengers to refill the refrigerator with water. I was moving weapons through, and apparently no one was willing to get up and restock the water. So, an airman at the counter gets on the mircrophone and says "I swear to God, if you people don't restock the water I'll do everything I can to delay your flight!". Needless to say, he got help and quick. I thought it was hilarious! That airman sure had a pair ; )
I only stayed long enough to get to my final destination of Kirkuk, Iraq. I'll be there until sometime in Jan 05. See my Kirkuk page for details.
- Pros:We were permitted 3 beers a day and didn't have to worry about "incoming"...
- Cons:Trying to catch a connecting flight was a god awful nightmare!
- In a nutshell:Read the walls and learned that AMC stands for Another Missed Connection ; )
JAFA-Rease's Related Pages
Qatar Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "DOHA - Is it Boring to be there ?"
- "Qatar - There IS more than just Doha!"
- "Land Cruisers and Gold"
- "Playing Qatari Atari"
- "My First Middle East Assignment"
- "UNDER CONSTRUCTION"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Qatar
- Hotels in Qatar
- Transportation in Qatar
- Nightlife in Qatar
- Restaurants in Qatar
- Shopping in Qatar
- Warnings and Dangers in Qatar
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Qatar
- 0 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Qatar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Qatar
Top 10 Pages
- Kirkuk Intro, 28 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Spangdahlem Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Philippsheim Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Bendorf-Sayn Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- La Grande Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ellensburg Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naches Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Turkey Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo