"Living in Kirkuk from Sep 04 until Jan 05!" Kirkuk by JAFA-Rease
Kirkuk Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 73 photos
Kirkuk Regional Air Base (KRAB), Iraq
I was stationed at Kirkuk for a little over four months. While there I was fortunate to be able to access VT. I just didn't have much time to... No surprise there right ; )
All done with donning my armor (battle rattle) all the time. That stuff was heavy! 33 pounds all together. I feel like I'm walking on a cloud now....
Not exactly my idea of a vacation trip. I didn't "immere" myself in the local culture unless ordered to (avoid convoys). But I developed an interesting tip or two to share for future travellers to this area...
Thanks to all those who wished me luck on keeping all my important pieces intact!
I'm really glad I had the opportunity to go! I don't want to go back right away, but I honestly feel that we're doing good and true things there. It also reminded me of how many things I take for granted and how much I actually "need". Plus the return was INCREDIBLE!!!
Just hanging out at the office. Had air conditioning, a phone and a computer.
That happens to be more than most of the locals have ; )
BTW, work went VERY well! Keeping busy really makes the time fly here. And hard work really does pay off! (See travelogue for details)
Home was 2156 miles and four months in that general direction!
Recently discovered that Kirkuk was the home of Ba'ath Headquarter and Saddam's Olympic training grounds. There is also a neat Bibilcal site nearby, the "Eternal Flame".
I initially told everyone that there was no way in hell I would leave the confines of the base. Then I had a rare opportunity (at least for an AF weenie). Again, in my travelogues...
Just had to do a "top ten" list for the KRAB. You know you aren't at the KRAB anymore when...
10. You can get more than four hours consecutive sleep on any given night.
9. The difference between work and home is more than, "one has a bed and the other a chair".
8. You don't decide to eat field rations instead of chow hall food because you think it's safer.
7. You call family/friends for longer than 15 minutes a week and don't get a two minute termination warning.
6. You aren't ill once a week from anthrax shots or malaria pills.
5. You can take a shower in private without having to worry about exceeding your three minute water ration.
4. You feel naked without 33 pounds of kevlar armor on you.
3. You can dismiss a door slamming as just that. No more rocket attacks.
2. Beer has alcohol in it.
And the number one reason!
1. Sex isn't just another topic of conversation.
- Pros:Gives you some unique perspectives on things...
- Cons:Try to avoid mortar rounds, rocket fire and bullets!
- In a nutshell:Ever play "Battleship"?
Right outside one of the Iraqi schools, the teachers decided to paint a mural. Unfortunately they forgot to use spell... more travel advice
While convoys are travelling through Iraqi territory, they frequently encounter many children who aren't in school.... more travel advice
- Night life in a Combat Zone...
- Rules one must live by here
- See All Choke, Cough...
- See All The endings aren't bad either ; )
JAFA-Rease's Related Pages
Kirkuk Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Kirkuk
- Hotels in Kirkuk
- Transportation in Kirkuk
- Restaurants in Kirkuk
- Warnings and Dangers in Kirkuk
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Kirkuk
- 28 Reviews
- 52 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 20 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (3)
Have you been to Kirkuk?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kirkuk
Top 10 Pages
- Kirkuk Intro, 28 reviews, 52 photos, 5 travelogues
- Spangdahlem Intro, 17 reviews, 26 photos, 4 travelogues
- Philippsheim Intro, 7 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cochem Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Bendorf-Sayn Intro, 2 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- La Grande Intro, 3 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Ellensburg Intro, 2 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Naches Intro, 8 reviews, 4 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 4 reviews, 7 photos
- Turkey Intro, 9 reviews, 1 photo