"Axel" Axel by uglyscot

Axel Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 10 photos

I spent a month in Axel when I was still a student, staying with a penfriend.
It was a quiet little town then. I especially remember the windmill, the swimming pool, and chilling out in coffee bars.
When we had the chance we'd cycle off to the dykes. The area is so flat that it is ideal cycling country, and then we'd reach the sea and soak up the sun.
What amazed me was that we only used one plate for meals, the kind used for soup. We'd start with soup. then the main dish and finally the dessert, all in the same one. A good way of making sure you finish everything.

Our favourite run was from Axel to Terneuzen and the dykes. I loved being able to cycle without having to struggle with gears. There was little traffic and the roads were good.
We'd pass fields with crops .Then all of a sudden on the horizon a large ship , seemingly on dry land, but actually out at sea, meant we'd reached our destination.

The women of Axel had their own traditional costume, lately only worn on special occasions. It was quite a sight to see an older woman perched on a bicycle or on the back of a motor bike in the traditional dress.
The dress has a head dress with two gold spring coils at the front .
The shoulders are high points, and navy blue with white spots, or green with red stripes. The dress itself is black, and the cap white. They also wear coral and gold beads.

• Pros:A very quiet country town,
  • Cons:rather off the beaten track
  • Last visit to Axel: Jul 1963
  • Intro Updated Jun 13, 2005

Comments

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in Axel