"Larnaca" Top 5 Page for this destination Larnaca by uglyscot

Larnaca Travel Guide: 284 reviews and 776 photos

Larnaca was once a port, but after the Turkish Invasion and the establishment of the airport as the main gateway to Cyprus, it has developed. Many people concentrate on the beaches and the Tourist Plaza where international cafes and restaurants can be found, as well as souvenir stalls.
But parallel to the promenade is the main shopping area and off it Old Larnaka where old buildings sit cheek by jowel ..
There is a fort, museum, the Large mosque, and Church of St Lazarus.

From Larnaca it is not far to go to the newly developed area of Prevolia, and even Nicosia is less than an hour away.

It was interesting to see that so many of the buildings use solar energy for heating the water. Sensible in a land with so much sun.
In fact the government encourages people to install this solar heating.

As you drive out of Larnaca you pass the artificial lakes, unfortunately saline. In June however most of the water has evaporated leaving a white sheet of shining salt.. See tips.

• Last visit to Larnaca: Jun 2006
  • Intro Updated Apr 7, 2012

• gilabrand's Profile Photo
    Jan 3, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Thanks for the New Year wishes! Now Cyprus is a place I haven't been, and so close, too. I will keep your tips in mind if we ever go.

• starship's Profile Photo
    Aug 9, 2008 at 8:33 PM

Nice page about this interesting place. My "boss" was invited to speak here several years ago.

• SLLiew's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2008 at 2:35 PM

Cool page of Larnaca. SL :)

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2007 at 10:42 AM

Shane, nice to see your Larnaca page. I started two times my Cyprus trip from Larnaca.

• freddie18's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2007 at 7:22 AM

I have not seen half of the places in Larnaca that you have posted. I wonder how I missed them. I have been to Cyprus several times and my next will be my 8th.

• Jerelis's Profile Photo
    Feb 27, 2007 at 3:43 AM

Gheee ... the salt lakes looks amazing! Not really a destination on our "wish-list", but who knows? Enjoyed your pictures and comments. Thanx for sharing.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Sep 1, 2006 at 5:55 PM

I loved our June visit to Cyprus. We spent a lot of time visiting the painted churches of the Troodos and onlt spent a a day in Larnaca - I'd love to see the flamingoes on the lake. leyle

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2006 at 2:13 PM

The morning mist over the sea looks beautiful. Liked the graveyard by the mosque. Sunbathing is not for me either. Interesting pictures and useful tips. Nice updates.

• awladhassan's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2006 at 11:27 AM

We had that mist off the sea too. It hid the tankers and refineries from view.

• zweiblumen's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2006 at 12:41 AM

Great page! Never got round to doing Cyprus yet, I'll get there some day :-)

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in Larnaca

Have you been to Larnaca?

Latest Activity in Larnaca