"The Gardens" Pervolia City-Site by uglyscot

Pervolia City-Site Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 8 photos

Pervolia means Gardens in Greek. This village used to be very small but now there has been a lot of development.
Driving through the village, I noticed the domes of the church and asked our Cypriot friend to stop so that I could take a picture.
The bell tower reminded me of some I'd seen in Rome but the domed roof in four parts and the main roof of tiles was to me thoroughly Greek.
The church is dedicated to Santa Eirene. It was built in 1903 and the belfry restored in 1932. An old bell is on display in the courtyard.
Around the top of the church are lion-head gargoyles.

The cemetery beside the church was the most beautiful I have seen. All the graves were decorated with flowers- whether this was because it was Easter, or a permanent feature, I don't know. Like most Orthodox cemeteries there is usually a photograph of the deceased on the gravestone, and often an eternal flame. Because this was once a small community, many of the people were related.

I'm not sure of the spelling of this saint - Leontinou or Leondias..
It was because of the name on the bell at Santa Eirene that we went to this church, as the bell in the courtyard had once hung here, I believe.
This is an old church , possibly from 1500.

• Pros:lovely place with interesting buildings
  • Last visit to Pervolia City-Site: May 2005
  • Intro Updated May 17, 2006

• Jan 6, 2007 at 10:55 AM

We have recently bought an apartment in Pervolia and spend most evenings in Kokos, when we are on holidayt A great atmosphere and fantastic Greek music on a Saturday night, and what wonderful pork chops. Yassas Costa!

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2006 at 11:12 AM

Beautiful photos, looking forward to more.

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in Pervolia City-Site

Have you been to Pervolia City-Site?

Latest Activity in Pervolia City-Site