"The Gardens" Pervolia City-Site by uglyscot
Pervolia City-Site Travel Guide: 6 reviews and 8 photos
Pervolia means Gardens in Greek. This village used to be very small but now there has been a lot of development.
Driving through the village, I noticed the domes of the church and asked our Cypriot friend to stop so that I could take a picture.
The bell tower reminded me of some I'd seen in Rome but the domed roof in four parts and the main roof of tiles was to me thoroughly Greek.
The church is dedicated to Santa Eirene. It was built in 1903 and the belfry restored in 1932. An old bell is on display in the courtyard.
Around the top of the church are lion-head gargoyles.
The cemetery beside the church was the most beautiful I have seen. All the graves were decorated with flowers- whether this was because it was Easter, or a permanent feature, I don't know. Like most Orthodox cemeteries there is usually a photograph of the deceased on the gravestone, and often an eternal flame. Because this was once a small community, many of the people were related.
I'm not sure of the spelling of this saint - Leontinou or Leondias..
It was because of the name on the bell at Santa Eirene that we went to this church, as the bell in the courtyard had once hung here, I believe.
This is an old church , possibly from 1500.
- Pros:lovely place with interesting buildings
We were invited out for lunch. Seating is inside or outside under a trellis of vines which allows the sun to filter... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Pervolia City-Site Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Pervolia City-Site
- Hotels in Pervolia City-Site
- Nightlife in Pervolia City-Site
- Restaurants in Pervolia City-Site
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Pervolia City-Site
- 2 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Pervolia City-Site?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pervolia City-Site
Photos in Pervolia City-SiteSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues