"Incredible India" India by uglyscot

India Travel Guide: 28,896 reviews and 80,343 photos

My feelings

I'd never had India high on my list of countries to visit. In fact it wasn't on my list at all after my daughter visited Mumbai with stories of the desperate poverty and beggars sleeping in the streets. Then earlier this year I discovered that a Scottish great great great grandfather had been stationed at Calcutta in the early 1800s , with two of the Foot Regiments. So, I began digging up information about the regiments, and their movements inside the country.
When my husband had an invitation to visit India on business, he suggested I accompany him and added a few extra days to our trip. So, in late November I found myself travelling First class on Emirates Airways to Delhi, staying in 5 star hotels, and with taxis and guides arranged to show us the interesting sites. We had two nights in Delhi then flew from Delhi to Mumbai for two days, back to Delhi, and then started our own holiday. At Nazmuddin railway station, I fell on the platform when going to find our carriage. then I sat for 3 hours looking out of grubby windows at the scenery, while my foot ballooned up. Trying to get out of the train was agony, so , on arrival at the hotel, we sent for a doctor. After having X-rays we were told I'd broken a bone near my ankle. So the rest of my holiday was in a wheel chair or on crutches. I did manage to visit some of the places on my list however, so it was not a total disaster.
I would like to thank all the people we met who were so helpful, kind and friendly during our stay- our hosts, hotel staff, taxi drivers, guides, boys to push the wheelchair, and even beggars when they saw my bright blue plaster covered leg!

I felt quite at home in India, especially out of the towns as the scenery , houses, vegetation and way of life was so like that of the Sudan.
In the towns [Mumbai and Old Delhi] I was struck by the sheer numbers of people and the traffic, but otherwise was somehow disappointed. Where were the colours, the smells, the strange culture everyone spoke about? Then we went to Old Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, and I knew what others were talking about.

Wherever you go there are memorials to the Father of the Nation, Mahatma Gandhi. It might be a park, a statue, a place significant in his life. Though he never wanted any images of himself in his life time, people still have the deepest respect for hi and flock to his memorial.

• Last visit to India: Dec 2007
  • Intro Updated Sep 16, 2011

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo
    Nov 7, 2008 at 12:48 AM

Such a pity about your injury in India- there is so much more to be seen by walking. I also was amused by the "Horn Please"signs on trucks-that is something the drivers enjoy doing anyway!!

• awladhassan's Profile Photo
    Jan 6, 2008 at 11:49 PM

Seems you had an interesting time in India, despite breaking your leg.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2007 at 4:26 AM

That must have been interesting experience for you: the snake charmers, the monkeys, the garlands of flowers. You were lucky not to have met with many beggars. Pity about your ankle, but the kindness of the people must have made it up to you a bit.

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in India