"Abergavenny" Top 5 Page for this destination Abergavenny by uglyscot
Abergavenny Travel Guide: 64 reviews and 217 photos
We went to visit VT-ranger49 who took us on a tour of her town. Being a Tuesday, it was the big market day so the town is busy and parking very difficult. There is some kind of market every day, but always outside. Abergavenny Market is held Tuesday, Friday and Saturday. The Flea Market on Wednesday, For more details see www. abergavennymarket.co.uk
Sheep pens indicate the cattle market.
There are craft fairs and food festivals too. Antique and collectors fairs are on the 3rd Sunday of the month.
The Market Hall is in the centre of town, and was built in 1870
Abergavenny , however, has a long history, most visible are the church and the castle dating from Norman times.
The Norman castle is in ruins but there is enough remaining to deserve a visit. There is the Museum in the grounds,
The church- St Mary's Priory- has been restored and now has a Victorian vaulted ceiling inside. More particular are the interesting effigies of members of the Herbert family, some dating to the 14th century. And there is a unique wooden [oak] carving of Jesse, carved from a single trunk.
The Tithe Barn was started in 13th century, extended and enlarged in 14th and 17th centuries respectively. It was... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Abergavenny Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "History and beautiful Scenery"
- "A Great town"
- "Y Fenni"
- "Abergavenny / y Fenni"
- "Abergavenny a great little town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Abergavenny
- Hotels in Abergavenny
- Transportation in Abergavenny
- Nightlife in Abergavenny
- Restaurants in Abergavenny
- Shopping in Abergavenny
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Abergavenny
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Abergavenny?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Abergavenny
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues