"The town and the castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Barnard Castle by uglyscot
Barnard Castle Travel Guide: 41 reviews and 135 photos
Nearby is Bowes Museum where paintings by El Greco, Fragonard, Boucher, Canaletto and Goya can be seen. A highlight is the silver automated swan which preens itself. It dates to the 18th century.
Originally the town was a weaving centre, loom weaving. Then in the 19th century it was known for shoe thread manufacturing.
- Pros:interesting town with huge castle
- Cons:steep walk to and from the river
I came across a stall selling Parkin, a ginger cake renowned in Yorkshire. The stall holder informed me that the cake... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Barnard Castle Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Town With A Castle"
- "There Really is a Castle"
- "The town and the castle"
- "Off the beaten path castle town"
- "Barnard Castle"
- ""Barney" to it's Friends!"
- "A warm and sunny Saturday in Barnard Castle"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Barnard Castle
- Hotels in Barnard Castle
- Restaurants in Barnard Castle
- Shopping in Barnard Castle
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Barnard Castle
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Barnard Castle?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Barnard Castle
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues