"Barry and Barry Island" Top 5 Page for this destination Barry by uglyscot

Barry Travel Guide: 80 reviews and 260 photos

According to the signposts Barry is 9 miles from Cardiff. The day I set out to visit, after reading M0b1us , aaaargh and others' pages, was bright blue sky, though very cold. As soon as I arrived the sun went behind a mass of cloud, so I was not amused!
I walked down from the main street to Morrisons supermarket and then crossed the road to be near the water. Coming from a peninsula in the north of Scotland I'd missed the smell of the sea, so felt at home.
The houses on the island climb up a hill which makes an attractive view.
A few days later I returned on a brighter day and managed to wander around Barry Island.

Along the promenade [Ffordd Mileniwm] there are a number of wharfs protruding into the sea. They have grass, unfortunately sparse and dead at the time I went, but enable one to see the sea and the island clearly.

Wandering around it was obvious there is a lot of building going on in the town, especially blocks of flats and houses.
The only building that stood out was the Public Docks Offices, which is an imposing building of red btick with cream edging. It stood up overlooking the old docks area.

• Last visit to Barry: Nov 2005
  • Intro Updated Nov 12, 2005

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Aug 31, 2010 at 2:39 AM

Hadn't heard of this Island. Love the thatched roofed cottages and the beautiful gardens.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I could watch the ships and the birds for hours. The thatched cottages are as nice as those in the Cotswolds. The burial chamber looks most interesting. Lovely place and great photos. Some good updates too. Loved Friar's Walk.

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    May 28, 2009 at 12:58 PM

When I started work with the long gone Glamorgan County Council in 1963 (its Education and Social work Departments were then in the vanguard of progressive public service) Duffryn House was our Training Centre. Ah! Happy days.

• muguruki's Profile Photo
    Nov 25, 2008 at 10:28 AM

I once worked down Barry way and after work one sunny day I was looking over the crowded beach where a toddler was eating sand; his young mum bellowed "eat sand again and I'll cave your f***ing head in". Don't you just love Valley girls!

• CathL's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2008 at 7:35 AM

As you say the signposts are the towns Barry is twinned with. Nice pages...enjoyed reading them

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2006 at 10:58 AM

I liked your page on Barry. I staid there in the summer of 1960 for a stage in a plant. It seems Barry got crowded since then. Airport, several golf clubs; only the pebbles are unchanged.

• Myndo's Profile Photo
    Apr 8, 2006 at 12:29 PM

A typical scottisch seaside town, I would guess. Somewhat serene, but beautiful anyway. Lovely pics and tips, Corinne

• yurxlnc's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2005 at 9:05 AM

Looks a nice place for a day at the seaside.

• aaaarrgh's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2005 at 3:30 PM

Delighted to see a new page for Wales's Skegness BUT do you get the feeling VT has listed Barry twice. Maybe you can ask VT nicely to move it to Barry, South Glamorgan, so me and M0B1US dont get lonely :-)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2005 at 3:57 AM

Beautifully clear photos of this lovely seaside town! I like hanging out around the sea myself. Will be in Cornwall for Christmas so I hope the weather is as good as this!!

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in Barry