"Bridgend" Bridgend by uglyscot
Bridgend Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 77 photos
The countryside near Bridgend is undulating and on a hill near Pen Coed are the masts and sails of a windfarm, but I wasn't quick enough to snap them. I can't make up my mind whether or not I approve of them. Yes, if it conserves energy; but not if it is a blot on the landscape.
Bridgend lies almost midway between Cardiff and Swansea.
We went there because we wanted to do some shopping at the Mcarthur Glen Designer Outlet. This is a group of nearly 100 shops and a food court, with Sainsbury's and a cinema nearby.
Bridgend or Pen y Bont is built on a sloping hillside. It was on the pilgrim route to St David's. They waded across the fast flowing river , and the town grew up around this point on the banks of the river Ogmore. The Old Bridge of 1425 was partly destroyed in a flood in 1775, then rebuilt.
It is reasonable sized town with a hospital, and of course the nearby outlet.
In fact Bridgend has long been a commercial hub. It was a market town in the 16th Century, and there were tanneries, potteries and a woollen factory in the area.
- Pros:shopping at the designer outlet
This cafe is in Bridgend Outlet Centre. It is an old established Italian cafe offering Hot drinks, toasted sandwiches,... more travel advice
Beside Ogmore castle are stepping stones at the most suitable place for a ford, which is why the castle was situated... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Bridgend Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Birdgend - town modernising with service"
- "You can smell the sea air from here..."
- "Quaint market town in Southern Wales (UK)"
- "Mmm Interesting Town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bridgend
- Nightlife in Bridgend
- Restaurants in Bridgend
- Shopping in Bridgend
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bridgend
- 9 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Bridgend?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bridgend
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues