"Caerleon Roman site" Caerleon by uglyscot
Caerleon Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 85 photos
Caerleon was the headquarters for Legion II Augusta from about 75 to 300 AD and an Iron Age hill fort. The name Caerleon comes from the Welsh for "fortress of the legion", but the Romans called it Isca. Today excavated Roman remains can be seen, including the military amphitheatre, baths [ Thermae] and barracks occupied by the Roman Legion. A Legion consisted of 5500 -6000 men.
Some people believe Caerleon was Camelot of Arthurian legend , and the round table was the amphitheatre which at one time was covered over by grass..
All the sites have information in both Welsh and English and the signs are illustrated with pictures representing people or places relevant to the sites.
However, initially we found the sites rather hard to access. A signpost pointed vaguely to where the Barracks were situated, but until we asked and were directed to a small lane near the school, we couldn't find the site. Then after walking some way along a rugby pitch we found it.
Then we walked and found the Museum easily. Sign posts pointed vaguely to the baths. There again , we searched a bit to actually locate them. Same for the amphitheatre. Yes, signs exist, but the notices for them should be clearer and more obvious.
The Priory is a building dating back to 1180. It was originally a Cistercian monastery,and later a nunnery. Many features have been preserved including the ancient flagstones and the rare sixteenth century glass medallions .The Oak Panel Room has antique stained glass and ornate oak panels dating back to 1622.
Now it is a restaurant and has a function room for receptions.
- Pros:great Roman Remains and excellent little museum
- Cons:the weather
Our SatNav took us to Caerleon in a route that wandered up and down hills . The roads were narrow, so care must be taken... more travel advice
This museum is quite unprepossessing from the outside, but is a gem inside. The staff are helpful. There are activities... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Caerleon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caerleon - travel back to Roman times"
- "Caerleon Roman site"
- "Caerleon - A Roman town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caerleon
- Restaurants in Caerleon
- Shopping in Caerleon
- Warnings and Dangers in Caerleon
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Caerleon
- 5 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Caerleon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caerleon
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues