"Home of the cheese and the castle" Top 5 Page for this destination Caerphilly by uglyscot
Caerphilly Travel Guide: 122 reviews and 420 photos
Caerphilly Castle is an impressive site. It is the largest castle in Wales with enormous water defences and ingenious fortifications. Hence it was never breached by the enemy.
The moat round the castle is deep, and a haven for water birds.
One of the towers competes with the leaning tower of Pisa, probably due to subsidence.
There are examples of various machines of war; and there is an exhibition showing the history of the region from prehistoric times and of the castle.
It is so attractive, and in the centre of the town, though covering a vast area.
The moat and the river attract water birds like geese and mallard ,other ducks and gulls. People take bread and sit beside the river and feed the birds, who are actually quite cheeky and come begging
Caerphilly has a shopping centre, lots of charity shops, cafes-- but the castle dominates the town as it is in the middle of the town.
- Pros:magnificent castle
This snack bar on the top of the Caerphilly mountain claims to be the oldest snack bar in the UK. It is now a wooden... more travel advice
The Great Hall is 70 feet x 35 feet [22m x 11] and dates from about 1270. It was remodelled by Hugh Le Despenser in... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Caerphilly Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Caerphilly - Famous for its' Castle and Cheese..."
- "Caerphilly Rains"
- "ordinary town with a medieval castle!"
- "Caerphilly - famous for two things!"
- "Home of the cheese and the castle"
- "Caerphilly, famed for cheese and leaning castle"
- "Caerphilly - Caerffili"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Caerphilly
- Transportation in Caerphilly
- Restaurants in Caerphilly
- Shopping in Caerphilly
- Warnings and Dangers in Caerphilly
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Caerphilly
- 8 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Caerphilly?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Caerphilly
- updated a Caerphilly Travel Page "Home of the cheese and the castle"
- Posted in Travel Egypt Forum "Re: Abu Simbel or Cairo for last..."
- Wrote a Review join the breakfast queue in Caerphilly Restaurants
- Uploaded a Photo to "join the breakfast queue"
- Commented on one of Elodie_Caroline's Caerphilly travel pages
Photos in CaerphillySee All Photos (54)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues