"a fine walled city" Top 5 Page for this destination Conwy by uglyscot
Conwy Travel Guide: 154 reviews and 592 photos
Conwy is a walled city with a castle built on rock. The wall encloses the city and has 21 towers ,I think. As a result Conwy is small enough to walk around and see the attractions. Looking at the map I expected to spend a lot of time walking, but in fact everything is so close. Among the attractions are the castle itself, the marina, a Tudor Merchant's house [Plas Mawr], the smallest house in Britain, and another medieval house [Aberconwy house].
The promenade stretches from the castle to the western wall of the town. There are many boats beached on the sand, or bobbing in the bay. The houses along the seafront were formerly fishermen's houses, and make an attractive street today with a wonderful view.
The castle and its walls are made of dark stone , and loom over the town. The castle has 8 towers and , I think, the walls have 21. Traffic enters through gates in the walls, some of which look as if they might have been widenened to accomodate modern vehicles. The castle is very imposing and as it is built on a rocky outcrop, stands in a very defensible position. It was built by King Edward II to keep the Welsh at bay.
- Pros:charming history- filled town
The carpark at the castle costs £1 for one hour; £1.50 for two hours , £2 for 3 hours. But since Conwy is so small it... more travel advice
Conwy Castle was built for Edward I. It is one of the finest surviving medieval fortifications. It has two barbicans:... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Conwy Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Conwy - North Wales"
- "A Spectacular Town"
- "Another Town, Another Castle"
- "Magical Conwy"
- "a fine walled city"
- "Enchanting Conwy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Conwy
- Hotels in Conwy
- Transportation in Conwy
- Nightlife in Conwy
- Restaurants in Conwy
- Shopping in Conwy
- Warnings and Dangers in Conwy
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Conwy
- 11 Reviews
- 70 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Conwy?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Conwy
Photos in ConwySee All Photos (70)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues