"Dornoch- where the sun seems to shine all the time" Dornoch by uglyscot
Dornoch Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 110 photos
Dornoch lies on the Dornoch Firth. It has a great beach with a wide sweep of golden sand.The beach has rocks at the northern end . It frequently seems to be sunny when the rest of the area is dull, and so is popular in the summer.
Near the beach is the Royal Dornoch Golf Club, named the 5th best golf course outside the USA. Dornoch is also notable as the last place a witch was burnt in Scotland. Her name was Janet Horne; she was tried and condemned to death in 1727. There is a stone, the Witch's Stone, commemorating her death, inscribed with the year 1722. And in the town itself is the cathedral made famous in recent times by the pop star Madonna when she had her son christened there the day before she married Guy Ritchie .
In the past Dornoch was rather off the beaten track but after the bridge was built it is within easy reach of visitors from Inverness and the south.
The Dornoch Firth leads from the North Sea up into the Kyles of Sutherland.
Seals, porpoises, salmon and trout as well as mullet are some of the sea creatures inhabiting the Firth.
There is a thriving mussel industry too.
Before the new Dornoch Bridge it used to be a long but not unattractive journey round the Firth to reach Dornoch and regions further north. However when there is a gale it is sometimes wiser not to use the bridge.
And, when the Air Force are practising bombing, the area suffers from the low flying aircraft.
The cathedral is a pleasant church with stained glass windows inside, and a frieze of gargoyles at the eaves- as if to say that the devil and his imps must stay outside.
Across the road from the Cathedral is the Town Gaol with its conical spires. Nowadays it has been turned into a craft and gift shop.
Not far from Dornoch is Embo, a former fishing village that faces out into the North Sea.
- Pros:a charming little town with cathedral, golf course and beach
- Cons:a bit off the beaten track
This busy cafe in Dornoch is fairly basic, but has a good selection of cakes and pastries The carrot cake was excellent... more travel advice
This building is rather forebidding to look at. It sits in the main street in Dornoch opposite the gaol. It was built in... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Dornoch Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Dornoch- where the sun seems to shine all the time"
- "golf, beach and the town jail"
- "A walk at Dornoch beach"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Dornoch
- Hotels in Dornoch
- Transportation in Dornoch
- Restaurants in Dornoch
- Shopping in Dornoch
- Warnings and Dangers in Dornoch
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Dornoch
- 9 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (110)
Have you been to Dornoch?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dornoch
Photos in DornochSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues