"Small but interesting town" Durham by uglyscot
Durham Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 559 photos
Durham seems to be named from its situation, as it is built on a hill in the loop of the river, so almost an island.: 'Dun' Old English for hill, and 'holme' Old Norse for island. Eventually it was corrupted to Durham.
Another alternative origin is a legend of a milkmaid,while searching for her dun cow ,who guided monks from Lindisfarne looking for a site to bury St Cuthbert. One of the first streets in Durham is Dun Cow Lane.
There has been settlement at Durham for 4000 years [about 2000 BC]. It has been a city since 995 AD.
Both the Romans and Normans left their mark on the city. The Cathedral in its present form dates to 1093, with rib vaulting in the nave.
The castle dates to the 11th century and was an early motte and bailey construction. There are still North Bailey and South Bailey as street names.
It was a Loyalist supporter during the Civil War, and both castle and cathedral suffered damage as a result.
Carpet making and coal mining were industries there in 18th century.
The Castle and Cathedral are worth seeing, though the Castle is seldom open to tourists as it is part of Durham University,.
There are some interesting buildings to be seen around the market square. like the Market Hall, St Nicholas Church. There is the Chorister School; and also Elvet Bridge and Framwellgate Bridge among others.
Durham lies in the bend or loop in the River Wear, a position that was a great defence, and why the Castle was the only one in England that was never breached.
There are weirs on the river below the Cathedral. The river floods every year, but makes a pleasant walk.
- Pros:a small city full of history
We arrived at Prince Bishops car park, and shortly after reached Market square. So many interesting things meet the eye.... more travel advice
Durham lies in the loop on the River Wear. From the Cathedral we walked down to the river and along , coming up the... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Durham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A trip down memory lane for sourbugger"
- "Daytripping to Durham"
- "Durham - great for students"
- "Rachel and Joe's Wedding 24th July 2004"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Durham
- Hotels in Durham
- Transportation in Durham
- Nightlife in Durham
- Restaurants in Durham
- Shopping in Durham
- Warnings and Dangers in Durham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Durham
- 4 Reviews
- 23 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Durham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Durham
Photos in DurhamSee All Photos (23)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues