"at the end of Lake Ullswater" Glenridding by uglyscot
Glenridding Travel Guide: 4 reviews and 18 photos
Glenridding is at the southern end of Ullswater. It is a favourite place for walkers and hikers.
The mountain Helvellyn , England's 3rd highest mountain, overlooks Glenridding. It is 3117 ft high, and stands on a plateau.
From here the Ullswater Steamers sail, stopping at Howtown and Pooley Bridge.
Lots of boats can be seen at this end of the lake: canoes, sailing boats or yachts, rowing boats, motor boats and even the odd wind-surfer.
Ullswater is the second largest lake in the Lake District. It is a typical narrow or ribbon lake formed when the valley carved out by glacier at the end of the last Ice Age, filled with meltwater. Further formation at Howtown resulting from volcanic eruption, created a fault giving Ullswater its z-shape.
William Wordsworth wrote his poem ' Daffodils' after walking near Glencoyne.
The waterfall Aira Force sparked the love story of a Knight of the Round Table and the maiden Emma.
Glenridding was once an important mining village, where galena was mined.
Red squirrels are to be found here. A road sign warms 'Red squirrels crossing here'.
One of the last wild Red Deer herds, dating back to William the Cinqueror , roam the hills , especially at Place Fell.
- Pros:wonderful place beautiful views- heaven
- Cons:parking places are a nightmare to find in summer
Near the office of Ullswater Steamers is a stome to commemorate the achievement of Sir Donald Campbell who broke the... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Glenridding Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "at the end of Lake Ullswater"
- "Squibber's Glenridding Page"
- "Glenridding - The Heart Of Ullswater"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glenridding
- Transportation in Glenridding
- Restaurants in Glenridding
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Glenridding
- 3 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Glenridding?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glenridding
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues