"Hilly Hampstead" Top 5 Page for this destination Hampstead by uglyscot
Hampstead Travel Guide: 83 reviews and 194 photos
Hampstead is a hilly area in north west London. It is now a district with nice houses, good restaurants and within a reasonable distance of Hampstead Heath. Today it has some interesting restaurants, charming little side streets, and is within reach of central London by underground and bus.. It used to be a village, and haunt of artists, writers and actors, like Constable, R.L.Stevenson and Gerald du Maurier
Off the main streets are some charming little streets or alleys. There are some expensive shops, crafts shops and an area with antique shops, as well as a Book shop where you squeeze between racks of books, climb over piles of books, a veritable cavern of books.
On Church Row in Hampstead there is a small cemetery, but in it are buried some famous persons.It is opposite St John's, where the older graves are found. Graves include those of the politician Hugh Gaitskell; actors like Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree and George du Maurier; and actress Kay Kendall who died young and was married to Rex Harrison.
It is a quiet place and there is a plaque with directions to some of the better known people buried there,
The red pillar box for posting letters in dates to Victorian times when the use of postage stamps , which made sending letters easier ,was introduced.
The size and shape may have changed since then, but not the characteristic 'pillar box red' colour.
In some places the old Victorian pillar boxes ,which were hexagonal and not round or oblong like they are today, still exist although only as memories of the past. One such relic is in Hampstead High Street opposite the post office.
- Pros:trendy little narea with interesting cafes.
I mentioned St John's Church graveyard extension in my introduction. The other day I decided to see the main churchyard.... more travel advice
The food is French. You can have soup, appetizers, salad, main dishes, desserts or sandwiches and wines or beer. There... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Hampstead Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "So close and yet so far..."
- "My favourite London village - Hampstead"
- "Hilly Hampstead"
- "The Heath and a whole lot more."
- "A place to do your celeb spotting"
- "Green and wealthy London"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Hampstead
- Hotels in Hampstead
- Transportation in Hampstead
- Nightlife in Hampstead
- Restaurants in Hampstead
- Shopping in Hampstead
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Hampstead
- 6 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Hampstead?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Hampstead
Photos in HampsteadSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues