"Invergordon" Invergordon by uglyscot
Invergordon Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 27 photos
Invergordon is one of those small Scottish towns that seem to be composed of one long street. However away from the High Street is the harbour. This was very important during WW2 .
Away on the inland side of the High Street is quite a flourishing community that most people miss, unless they take the 25 bus [instead of the 25X] to Inverness. Invergordon Academy is there and other industrial compounds related to the distillery. There is also a hospital.
The distillery gives the town a rather strange smell at times. I often thought it was like burnt lunch, but it was from the grain.
In the 1950s there was an aluminium smelter, but it closed down, though its buildings still exist
The harbour and the docks were very important during WW2 because it is a deep water harbour.. Now, in the summer months, cruise ships stop, like the QE II , which come and disgorge tourists who flood the town, take the bus to Inverness or points north, until it's time to embark and sail off again.
It is interesting to go down and see what is going on there.
The Cromarty Firth has many oil rigs waiting to go to Nigg for repair which look quite attractive lit up at night. In the 1960s the oil rig building business brought a lot of people into the area, and though this has finished, the rigs still have to be maintained. Sometimes a long queue of rigs are waiting.
- Pros:a Highland village with a history
Kilmuir Easter church is between Kildary and Invergordon to the right of the road as you drive south. All my life I have... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Invergordon Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Invergordon
- 3 Reviews
- 27 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Invergordon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Invergordon
Photos in InvergordonSee All Photos (27)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 46 reviews, 194 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues