"Llantwit Major" Llantwit Major by uglyscot
Llantwit Major Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 117 photos
Llantwit Major is a fascinating town .Its history dates back at least 3000 years to the Bronze Age and Iron Age, and the Romans before the arrival in 500 AD of St Illtud who crossed the Bristol Channel and established a church and seat of learning- claimed by some to be the oldest in the world. Llantwit Major developed as a trading port, but a tsunami swept up the Bristol Channel and destroyed much of the coastal area and killed over 2000 people in the 16th century.
Today it is a town with narrow streets, quaint stone cottages and old inns. The oldest buildings were built by the Normans.
The Old White Hart pub, in Wine Street, is the most continuously inhabited house in the town . It was built by Robert Raglan. Then in 1465 he built a new house which later became the village school. Another Raglan house is the Old Swan Inn, in Church Street.
Great House or Ty Mawr is at the northern end of the town, built by the Nicholl family about 1600. It was abandoned in the 20th century before WWII, but has since been restored.
One of its attractions is the Victorian Fair held every two years. It will be held on June 20 2009.
St Illtud built his monastery on the banks of the Ogney Brook. Hid teachings attracted disciples, including St David, now patron saint of Wales. The present St Illtud’s church is believed to be built on the site of the monastery. John Wesley described it , in 1777, as ‘the most beautiful and most spacious church in Wales’.
In a very small area there are a number of hotels and pubs. The oldest are the Old Swan Hotel and the White Hart, but there are also The White Lion, The King's Hwad and the Tudor Tavern, all with interesting inn signs.
- Pros:interesting old town
This inn was originally a dwelling built by Robert Raglan and has been extended on both sides and to the rear. It is the... more travel advice
There is a large ruin overlooking the village, which is on the outskirts of Llantwit Major. It was enclosed and a barred... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Llantwit Major Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Llanilltud Fawr"
- "Llanwit Major"
- "Lovely Llantwit"
- "Llantwit Major"
- "St Donat's Castle"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Llantwit Major
- 11 Reviews
- 67 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Llantwit Major?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Llantwit Major
Photos in Llantwit MajorSee All Photos (67)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues