"Musselburgh and Inveresk" Musselburgh by uglyscot
Musselburgh Travel Guide: 12 reviews and 23 photos
Musselburgh is an attractive little town with quite a nice high street without the normal chain stores. There is proper butchers and a fishmongers, cafes and charity shops, and interesting buildings like the Tolbooth/prison. Away from the High Street are nice houses, some with the mustard/ochre colour as in Inveresk.
The 13th century stone bridge across the Esk was used by Edward II in his retreat from the Battle of Bannockburn in 1314. The town's history however dates back to the Roman invasion of Scotland in 80AD. The Romans built a fort here and the bridge which they constructed across the River Esk . The bridge was rebuilt in the 13th century , on the original Roman foundations.The town's motto is 'Honesty' which dates back to 1332.
The Coat of Arms for Musselburgh has three mussels, referring to the origins of the burgh, and three anchors which refer to the community's fishing traditions.
Musselburgh and Inveresk are down the coast from Edinburgh. The countryside is lovely and Inveresk is known for its gardens.
Driving through Inveresk, I noticed the Mediterranean -style colours, a sort of ochre, that covered many of the cottages and houses, although the natural honey coloured stone houses themselves are very attractive. Many of the houses date back to the 17th and 18th centuries , before the new Town was built.
There are walks available along the River Esk, and 'islands' where swans, ducks, geese and gulls congregate. I managed to count 4 bridges over the river. The banks in places have been planted with colourful beds of flowers.
Other attractions are the racecourse and the golf course.
- Pros:a pleasant little town close to Edinburgh
In the small square beside the Tolbooth is a monument. It is a column where .......... was executed. It also explains... more travel advice
This old building is interesting to see, and especially the two doors, one with a grill to allow guards to see who is... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Musselburgh Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Musselburgh - the Honest town."
- "Honest Toun(Town) - Musselburgh in Scotland"
- "Musselburgh and Inveresk"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Musselburgh
- Hotels in Musselburgh
- Transportation in Musselburgh
- Restaurants in Musselburgh
- Shopping in Musselburgh
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Musselburgh
- 5 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Musselburgh?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Musselburgh
Photos in MusselburghSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues