"Just in time for Robin Hood" Nottingham by uglyscot
Nottingham Travel Guide: 378 reviews and 819 photos
When I was young and we drove all over Britain we had stopped in Nottingham and Sherwood Forest many a time. But, since the 1960s I have not been able to visit until now when I went to stay with a friend. I hadn't remembered Nottingham as being so hilly! I discovered it is quite a nice town and with quite a lot to see and do.
Nottingham Castle is a good place to visit as it offers a wonderful panorama over the city . Maps show the sights to see, but must admit I found them not very helpful as I didn't know what I was looking for in some instances. It is good to have a local or a guide who can pinpoint where Green's Windmill ought to be visible....
If it is not windy and cold, then a bus trip out to Woollaton Hall is a nice way to spend an afternoon. The building is magnificent but unfortunately it has very little in the way of period furniture to show how the house would have looked. There are galleries with minerals and fossils, insects, arms and stuffed animals.
We preferred to wander round the park, lake and gardens which were already reminding us that it was technically spring.
We went to the Lowdham Book Festival. It lasted almost a week, though we only attended the last day [Saturday 29 June... more travel advice
1. This interesting building belonged to a firm of architects 2. A modern glass fronted building reflects older... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Nottingham Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "~ Nottingham ~"
- "CITY THAT NEVER STOPS !"
- "Introducing Nottingham!!! (Home)"
- "I'm getting more and more attached to this city"
- "A thriving University City"
- "The real Midlands"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Nottingham
- Hotels in Nottingham
- Transportation in Nottingham
- Nightlife in Nottingham
- Restaurants in Nottingham
- Shopping in Nottingham
- Warnings and Dangers in Nottingham
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Nottingham
- 10 Reviews
- 77 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Nottingham?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Nottingham
- Posted in Travel Sudan Forum "Re: What is the proper attire for..."
- Wrote a Review Lowdham Book Festival, and village in Nottingham Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Lowdham Book Festival, and village"
- updated a Nottingham Travelogue "More from Woollaton Hall"
- Commented on one of Andrew_W_K's Nottingham travel pages
Photos in NottinghamSee All Photos (77)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues