"Just in time for Robin Hood" Nottingham by uglyscot

Nottingham Travel Guide: 381 reviews and 836 photos

When I was young and we drove all over Britain we had stopped in Nottingham and Sherwood Forest many a time. But, since the 1960s I have not been able to visit until now when I went to stay with a friend. I hadn't remembered Nottingham as being so hilly! I discovered it is quite a nice town and with quite a lot to see and do.

Nottingham Castle is a good place to visit as it offers a wonderful panorama over the city . Maps show the sights to see, but must admit I found them not very helpful as I didn't know what I was looking for in some instances. It is good to have a local or a guide who can pinpoint where Green's Windmill ought to be visible....

If it is not windy and cold, then a bus trip out to Woollaton Hall is a nice way to spend an afternoon. The building is magnificent but unfortunately it has very little in the way of period furniture to show how the house would have looked. There are galleries with minerals and fossils, insects, arms and stuffed animals.
We preferred to wander round the park, lake and gardens which were already reminding us that it was technically spring.

• Last visit to Nottingham: May 2010
  • Intro Written Jun 7, 2010

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Never been to that part of Britain and it looks lovely. The statues in the castle yard are simply great! It may have been chilly there but so many plants were already in blossom. No idea what nachos are.

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in Nottingham

Have you been to Nottingham?