"Penarth" Top 5 Page for this destination Penarth by uglyscot
Penarth Travel Guide: 43 reviews and 132 photos
Penarth is only 5.2 miles from Cardiff.
There is an attractive marina full of boats where the old docks were. The houses nearby are colourful, and there are great views across the bay to Cardiff, and the Millenium stadium can be distinguished easily.
Over 200 years ago Penarth was little more than a village, being one of five parishes in the Hundred of Dinas Powys.
Many of the town's features owe their origin to the landowners of the time and can be seen by the many fine buildings and parks . Penarth earned the reputation of "The Garden by the Sea" because of its beautiful parks and open spaces. Furthermore, many of the buildings and features of the town have led to a substantial part being designated as a Conservation Area because of its Victorian/ Edwardian architecture.
Source: Penarth Town Council
There are some interesting places to go in the neighbourhood, like the Cosmeston Lakes Park and the Medieval Village.Water birds like swans, ducks , gulls and coots can be found there, as well as wild flowers and trees.
The village has events throughout the year - at Easter and Halloween, for example , where there are people in medieval dress and traditional mead can be tasted. It is only a short drive south of Penarth on the B4267.
- Pros:attractive town with nice shops,
- Cons:pebble beach is hard on the feet
I was really taken by the elegant wrought iron lamposts along the Esplanade. Those further up the hill were more modern... more travel advice
The esplanade is an attractive street with elegant lamp posts on the seaward side of the road. Many of the buildings are... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Penarth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A short visit to Penarth"
- "Penarth - a bit of traditional seaside"
- "Picturesque Penarth"
- "A quick visit..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Penarth
- Transportation in Penarth
- Nightlife in Penarth
- Restaurants in Penarth
- Warnings and Dangers in Penarth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Penarth
- 8 Reviews
- 28 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Penarth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Penarth
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues