"a mile of beach" Portobello by uglyscot
Portobello Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 26 photos
Portobello was named after a building built on a point by the sea, and was called Puerta bella.
The Victorian middle class developed it as a seaside resort because of the lovely sandy beach and clean water.
Today on a sunny day people - of all classes= come to enjoy the beach. though when we were there some purple jellyfish were a bit offputting!
An interesting bit off history can be seen in the remains of the Portobello pottery. Two stacks have been preserved.
There is also a tower which was built in 1700s by an eccentric using medieval bricks.
The promenade is long and there are cafes, fish and chip shop. amusement arcade and some seats to relax on.
From Portobello there are great views across the Firth and down almost to the Borders. The conical mound visible clearly from Dirleton, is just a pimple on the panorama.
In the sea are the islands, Inchkeith, and across to Kirkaldy.
- Pros:great beach
This park is not very well known but somewhere nice to go and let the children let off steam. There is a pond with... more travel advice
The tower is an interesting structure. It was built by an 18th century eccentric, using medieval bricks. There does not... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Portobello Travel Guide
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Portobello
- 6 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Portobello?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Portobello
Photos in PortobelloSee All Photos (26)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues