"Robin Hood's Bay , and Old Fishing village" Top 5 Page for this destination Robin Hood's Bay by uglyscot
Robin Hood's Bay Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 109 photos
This picturesque old fishing village has a long history.
It lies in the ancient parish of Fylingdales. Neolithic [Bronze Age] burials have been found on the moors nearby dating back 3000 years.
The Romans also came to the area but the earliest settlers were probably Anglo Saxons and Vikings [Norsemen].
In 1536 Leland described it as 'a fishertownelet of 20 bootes;.
By 1540 there were 50 cottages, large for the time; by the shore.
In the 18th century it was the busiest smuggling village on the Yorkshire coast.
Nowhere is there any evidence or mention of Robin Hood.
The rocks are limestone and blue shales. Millions of years ago it was deep under the sea, which is why fossils can be seen in the museum,and, if you are lucky, along the shore.
Houses that are reminiscent of Dutch style, near the station
There are so many interesting-looking buildings to be seen, so keep your camera busy!
Another interesting building in the town above the old village looks as if the base had been a windmill, but the top looks like a church steeple. The rain prevented me from going close though.
Down in the village houses vary from large to small, streets usually narrow and the way down very steep.
- Pros:picturesque old fishing village
- Cons:steep road to access it
Just beside the road when travelling from Robin Hood's Bay to Whitby is an old church from which the bay cam be seen. It... more travel advice
When you arrive by bus or car at Robin Hood's Bay, there is a long walk to reach the shore, whether you use the station... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Robin Hood's Bay Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Smugglers, Victorians and a lot more besides!"
- "If you need some air and exercise........"
- "Robin Hood's Bay , and Old Fishing village"
- "Robin Hood's Bay"
- "Dramatic seaside gem"
- "Robin Hood's Bay"
- "The North Sea coasts prettiest village"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Robin Hood's Bay
- Hotels in Robin Hood's Bay
- Transportation in Robin Hood's Bay
- Nightlife in Robin Hood's Bay
- Restaurants in Robin Hood's Bay
- Shopping in Robin Hood's Bay
- Warnings and Dangers in Robin Hood's Bay
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Robin Hood's Bay
- 4 Reviews
- 14 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (36)
Have you been to Robin Hood's Bay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Robin Hood's Bay
- Posted in Miscellaneous Forum "Re: Homes of people from history"
- updated a Robin Hood's Bay Travel Page "Robin Hood's Bay , and Old Fishing village"
- Wrote a Review Old Church at Fylingdales or is it Fylingthorpe?ch in Robin Hood's Bay Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "Old Church at Fylingdales or is it Fylingthorpe?ch"
Photos in Robin Hood's BaySee All Photos (14)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues