"75-76-77-" Rollright Stones by uglyscot

Rollright Stones Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 26 photos

The knight's men

My daughter and I went to visit a friend in Chipping Norton, who decided a visit to the Rollright stones was a must. At 4.30 am she was pounding on our bedroom door to wake up and come down for tea and toast. This we did. We got up and wrapped ourselves warmly as it was chilly outside. We then had an exhilerating drive down narrow country lanes, swooping down hills until we arrived at the site. It was still dark and completely isolated. Slowly dawn broke and we could see the weird mis-shapen, weathered old stones, some mere stumps in a perfect circle. The circle is late Neolithic, dating to 2500-2000 BC. My friend told us all the legends: [how nobody knows the exact number of the stones. That they are the army of a king who were turned to stone. That the stones on New Year's Day go down to the spring to drink.
We went round the circle doing a count, and true enough we all reached a different fgure. It is thought to be 77.

[Thanks to evanna for the photographs on this page and in my To Do tips]

The Knight's stone

We spent some time in the circle and then crossed the road to the second part of the monuments - The King's Stone- which we reached by climbing over a fence. It is a monolith , possible from Middle Bronze Age. Although the field in which it stands is privately owned, the owner permits access. Not that we saw a soul the whole time we were there.
Legend says a witch turned him into stone for daring to claim ownership of the kingdom.

the whispering knights

The third monument The Whispering Knights are some distance away, about 100 yards away and through a gate, following the edge of the field. They are the remains of a 5000 year old burial chamber, a Neolithic long barrow of 5 upright stones.
By the time we left the sun had risen, and we left this magical place , glad to have had the experience.

• Pros:fascinating site
  • Last visit to Rollright Stones: Dec 1994
  • Intro Updated Aug 4, 2006

• FAIRYfromtheSHIRE's Profile Photo
    Jun 15, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Hey there. Thank you for your comments. I am liking your pages, need to add more info to mine I think! Just finding the time! Happy travels.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2006 at 11:51 PM

Sounds like a fascinating place. It's a pity you need to think of your car being broken into while contemplating the stones.

uglyscot

“Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought”

Badges & Stats in Rollright Stones

Have you been to Rollright Stones?

Latest Activity in Rollright Stones