"75-76-77-" Rollright Stones by uglyscot
Rollright Stones Travel Guide: 8 reviews and 26 photos
My daughter and I went to visit a friend in Chipping Norton, who decided a visit to the Rollright stones was a must. At 4.30 am she was pounding on our bedroom door to wake up and come down for tea and toast. This we did. We got up and wrapped ourselves warmly as it was chilly outside. We then had an exhilerating drive down narrow country lanes, swooping down hills until we arrived at the site. It was still dark and completely isolated. Slowly dawn broke and we could see the weird mis-shapen, weathered old stones, some mere stumps in a perfect circle. The circle is late Neolithic, dating to 2500-2000 BC. My friend told us all the legends: [how nobody knows the exact number of the stones. That they are the army of a king who were turned to stone. That the stones on New Year's Day go down to the spring to drink.
We went round the circle doing a count, and true enough we all reached a different fgure. It is thought to be 77.
[Thanks to evanna for the photographs on this page and in my To Do tips]
We spent some time in the circle and then crossed the road to the second part of the monuments - The King's Stone- which we reached by climbing over a fence. It is a monolith , possible from Middle Bronze Age. Although the field in which it stands is privately owned, the owner permits access. Not that we saw a soul the whole time we were there.
Legend says a witch turned him into stone for daring to claim ownership of the kingdom.
The third monument The Whispering Knights are some distance away, about 100 yards away and through a gate, following the edge of the field. They are the remains of a 5000 year old burial chamber, a Neolithic long barrow of 5 upright stones.
By the time we left the sun had risen, and we left this magical place , glad to have had the experience.
- Pros:fascinating site
The Rollright stones are a group of three megalithic sites: a stone circle, a standing stone and a cairn. They are known... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Rollright Stones Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Rollright Stones"
- "The Rollright Stones"
- "The Rollright stones - Mayday/Beltaine 2006"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Rollright Stones
- 2 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Rollright Stones?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rollright Stones
- Posted in Travel Khartoum Forum "Re: Trying to find my childhood..."
- Commented on one of FAIRYfromtheSHIRE's Rollright Stones travel pages
- updated a Rollright Stones Travel Page "75-76-77-"
- Wrote a Review visit and count the stones in Rollright Stones Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "visit and count the stones"
Photos in Rollright StonesSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues