"Verulamium" St Albans by uglyscot
St Albans Travel Guide: 176 reviews and 429 photos
As a birthday present , my family took me to St Albans so that I could re-visit the Roman remains of Verulamium. As the ticket seeller at the theatre told me, not much has changed apart from a new excavation revealing a town house and an underground shrine.
It was very cold day, and Verulamium Park is wide open to the cold breeze, so we didn't linger toolong. We took advantage of an invitation from an old school friend- last seen in 1958- to stop by for a cup of tea. Too much talk meant we had to forego revisiting the cathedral. An excuse for another visit.
A trip to Verulamium and the Roman amphitheatre there was what sparked off my interest in archaeology in a big way. I'd been to Stone henge the year before and had been impressed. But the idea of a theatre, houses etc being dug out of the ground had more impact and seemed more exciting. I even went home and wrote a story called the Young Archaeologists, who dug a whole field in one night finding coins and a skeleton.Well, I was only 11 years old at the time!
We went to the museum and saw pots [I remember that] and other exhibits. And to see the mosaics. We then went to the cathedral.
Alban lived (at some time during the 3rd century) in the Roman city of Verulamium. He worshipped Roman. In spite of... more travel advice
The 1800 year old hypocaust with its mosaic floor were uncovered during excavations in Verulamium Park in the 1930's by... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
St Albans Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A great deal of history."
- "St Albans - Roman Verulamium"
- "St Albans - an Historic City"
- "One super terrific day!"
- "I've finally laid my hat"
- "St. Albans"
- "One of the finest Cities in England"
- See All...
- Things to Do in St Albans
- Hotels in St Albans
- Transportation in St Albans
- Nightlife in St Albans
- Restaurants in St Albans
- Shopping in St Albans
- Warnings and Dangers in St Albans
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in St Albans
- 8 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to St Albans?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in St Albans
- Posted in Travel Khartoum Forum "Re: Trying to find my childhood..."
- Commented on one of Wowmoment's St Albans travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "St Albans streets and houses"
- created a St Albans Travelogue "St Albans streets and houses"
- Wrote a Review visit St Albans Museum in St Albans Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues