"a fortified medieval manor house" Stokesay by uglyscot
Stokesay Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 17 photos
We were driving towards north Wales when we came across a sign indicating a castle, so , being us, we followed the sign.
How glad we are that we did. We found not a castle but a church and a magnificent fortified medieval house.
[Unfortunately My batteries were not fully charged and my spare camera only had one set of partially used batteries. So, not all pictures are available at present¬]
The church dates back to the 13 Century,
In the churchyard is a wooden Celtic cross marking the grave of the La Tour family.
For a history of the house see tip.
Stokesay Castle is the finest and best preserved 13th-century fortified manor house in England. Stokesay Castle forms an outstandingly picturesque group with its timber-framed gatehouse and the parish church.
Lawrence of Ludlow, who made his fortune as a wool merchant and set up as a country gentleman, acquired the manor in 1281.
Across the courtyard stands the gatehouse of timber-framing, with charming carvings of Adam and Eve. This was built in 1640, a few years before Stokesay's only known military encounter, when it surrendered without fighting during the Civil War.
An audio tour is available.
The opening times:
21 Mar-30 Sep 10am-5pm Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, & Sun.
1-31 Oct 10am-5pm Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, & Sun.
1 Nov-28Feb 10am-4pm Thu, Fri, Sat, & Sun.
1-31 Mar 10am-5pm Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun, & Bank Hols.
Last admission 1 hour before closing time
Closed 24-26 Dec & 1 Jan
Cost: Adult:£5.00 , Children:£2.50. Concession:£4.00
English Heritage Members:Free Family Ticket: £12.50
- Pros:a lovely page from history
- Cons:off the beaten track
- In a nutshell:not to be missed
The Church of St john The Baptist dates to the 12th century. During the civil war in 1645 when Shrewsbury had fallen to... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Stokesay Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Stokesay
- 2 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Stokesay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Stokesay
- Posted in Travel Sudan Forum "Re: What is the proper attire for..."
- Commented on one of Andrew_W_K's Stokesay travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Stokesay Castle"
- updated a Stokesay Travel Page "a fortified medieval manor house"
- Wrote a Review St John the Baptist Church - under construction in Stokesay Things to Do
Photos in StokesaySee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues