"The oldest royal burgh" Tain by uglyscot
Tain Travel Guide: 24 reviews and 93 photos
Tain is in Ross and Cromarty, about 48 miles from Inverness. It is said to be the oldest royal burgh in Scotland, having received its charter in 1066, but the actual charter does not exist any more. However there is one from 1588.
Of interest is Old St Duthus Chapel, St Duthus Church, the old Tolbooth whose massive square tower with a spire houses the ancient curfew bell..
For sports fans it has a good golf course. There are tennis courts and a beach.
And a couple of miles north is Glenmorangie Distillery.
Tain the town is built on the top of a raised beach.To the south the raised beach can be seen clearly in contrast to the flat land below , Kirksheaf and the Plaids area.To the north the land is quite flat. In this latter area is the Coop store, Morangie House Hotel [see restaurant tip], and about 2 miles along the Glen Morangie distillery.
Although quite a few of my photos show snow, this is because after living in Africa for 30 odd years , I was fascinated by it!
The whole area of Easter Ross is actually quite dry. In summer there may be bans on using hoses, because of water shortage.
There can be fierce winds off the North Sea, but there can also be pleasant sunny days.
People don't go around in thermal underwear or wear furs all the year as some folk seem to think!
Across the Dornoch Firth from Tain lies Dornoch, a popular seaside resort, also with a fine golf club, and of course Madonna got married there.
- Pros:quiet and historic town
- Cons:too quiet!
There are three main walks through the forest, some long, others shorter. In spring the trees are flushing or in bloom... more travel advice
Tain Museum is in a small Maitland Building on Castle Brae. It has a lot of exhibits related to the area, including... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Tain Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Tain
- Hotels in Tain
- Restaurants in Tain
- Shopping in Tain
- Warnings and Dangers in Tain
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Tain
- 21 Reviews
- 87 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Tain?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Tain
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues