"Smallest city in England" Wells by uglyscot
Wells Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 316 photos
We went to Wells when we were visiting the Wookey Holes . It was a wet day and we were already soaked when we arrived, but I'd read about the cathedral in Vt Ina's page and thought it deserved a visit. However, my husband and daughter were hungry and wanted to get back to Cardiff so only allowed me time to grab a quick snap of the cathedral before we headed home .
2012 At last I had the chance to really see Wells which turned out to be a wonderful town with beautiful houses in narrow streets, and so much to see. We were there on a Saturday so there was street market beside the cathedral. there was a trail where painted swans could be found, and even a charity event in a church hall where we were invited to have tea and sandwiches and cakes at very reasonable prices.
We wanted to see the Wookey Holes. This group of huge caves carved into the limestone by water dripping through the surface for millions of years is quite impressive. It may not have the variety of formations of Cheddar, but is a much larger phenomena. The thought of thousands of tons of rock more than 200feet above our heads was not a pleasant thought.
Because tourists are drawn to the area, a variety of attractions have been set up to amuse the chilkdren, and empty the parents' pockets- a pirate area, dinosaurs, circus museum, fruit machibes, paper making.
- Pros:attractive mediaeval city
- Cons:the hype at Wookey Holes
- In a nutshell:Beautiful cathedral and much more to be seen.
We had studied a brochure giving houses and gardens which deserved a visit. We set off along narrow country lanes amid... more travel advice
We were not able to enter the cathedral. I think a wedding was in progress as a troop of clergymen went and the doors... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Wells Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Well, well, well, Wells"
- "Tiny, ancient city....."
- "Beautiful Wells - England's smallest city."
- "Wells - England's smallest city"
- "England's smallest city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wells
- Hotels in Wells
- Transportation in Wells
- Restaurants in Wells
- Shopping in Wells
- See All...
Explore the World
- Rose Hill Hotels
- San Miguel de Allende Hotels
- San Pedro de Alcántara
- Cloudcroft Hotels
- Lopinot Hotels
- Welwyn Garden City
- Limburg an der Lahn
- Larvik Hotels
- Lago de Pátzcuaro Hotels
- Colonia del Sacramento
- Salisbury Beach
Badges & Stats in Wells
- 4 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (37)
Have you been to Wells?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wells
Photos in WellsSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues