"Great beaches" Top 5 Page for this destination Weston-Super-Mare by uglyscot
Weston-Super-Mare Travel Guide: 57 reviews and 83 photos
We had long thought of visiting this popular beach, and the marvellous sunny weather in July 2013 gave us the incentive. We didn't arrive till afternoon and were afraid we wouldn't find anywhere to park, but there was plenty of room as areas were set up on the sand,as well as along the road.
The long stretch of beach has been divided into sections: Weston Beach, Clifton Beach, Royal Beach for example.The latter is quieter and less developed than Weston beach which is near the pier.
When the tide is out, there is an immense expanse of sandbars, and muddy areas.
2000 years ago there was an Iron Age structure on Bronze Age remains. The Museum has human remains which show evidence of violent death, perhaps sword cuts.
Roman building was on the site of Weston College and other places. After the Romans left there was a small village, mainly dependent on farming and fishing.
Industry began in Tudor times with the discovery of calamine [zinc ore] and galena [iron ore].
George III took up the fashion of drinking and bathing in sea water and by 1810 houses were rented by bathers.
In 1841 the first pier was built, followed by the Seafront Development Scheme in the 1880s- a sea wall and the 2mile promenade.
The railway arrived in 1884, new shops were opened and seaside boarding schools became fashionable.
Another pier, The Grand Pier was built in 1906, which incorporated a theatre.
Data from the museum, open 7 days a week. Tel 01934 6210228
- Pros:great beach, and amusements to keep children occupied
All along the beach are signposts saying DANGER SINKING MUD. The beach has firm sand for quite a long way and then where... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Weston-Super-Mare Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Great beaches"
- "Weston Super Mare Memories"
- "WESTON-SUPER-MARE - A SEASIDE TOWN CLOSE TO WALES"
- "Weston Super Mare"
- "Weston-Super Mare ~ Can-u-see-the-Sea-side"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Weston-Super-Mare
- Hotels in Weston-Super-Mare
- Transportation in Weston-Super-Mare
- Nightlife in Weston-Super-Mare
- Restaurants in Weston-Super-Mare
- Warnings and Dangers in Weston-Super-Mare
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Weston-Super-Mare
- 3 Reviews
- 8 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Weston-Super-Mare?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Weston-Super-Mare
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues