"Woodton" Woodton by uglyscot
Woodton Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 17 photos
Woodton was the last village on my Norfolk genealogical trail. It was here my paternal grandmother and her 5 younger siblings were born and brought up. Their grandmother lived here with her husband who was a local.
It was not a very attractive village and I had a lot of difficulty trying to find the church. No one I asked seemed to know and I was sent on a wild goose chase to a nearby village church instead.
My great grandfather was a shoemaker, carrier and 'farmer' here, living at Pockthorpe and The Street, which is at right angles to the public house, The King's head. It is a quite attractive street with a stream running on one side, and with a few interesting houses.
There are signs that the area has been occupied for a long time. Bronze Age ring ditches were found dating to 2350BC and 701Bc.
The first mention of Woodton is in the Domsday Book, where it appears as Wodetuna meaning settlement in the wood.
Woodton church is simple, almost austere, but lovely inside. It has a round tower of Norman or Saxon date. The nave and... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Woodton Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Woodton
- 2 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (38)
Have you been to Woodton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Woodton
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues