"the witch of Wookey lives here" Wookey by uglyscot
Wookey Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 16 photos
Wookey Hole is a group of linked chambers cut into the rock by the River Axe. One of the chambers is huge, and has been likened to St Paul's Cathedral. The acoustics are great, but I didn't like the idea of hundreds of tons of rock above me, with no visible support to the roof.
Legend has it that a woman thought to be a witch lived in the village, and when driven out went to live with her dog inside the cave. Eventually the villagers called a monk to try and drive her out. he succeeded in driving her down the steps to Hell where she and her dog were turned to stone. her profile can be seen in the rock.
Because there is a suitable venue nearby, a theme park has been set up featuring neanderthal men and dinosaurs. there is the history of the circus inside the mill, and also a Pirate ship and barbecue area outside. All tourist traps, but loved by children.
- Pros:interesting caves
- Cons:the theme parks /attractions
uglyscot's Related Pages
Wookey Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wookey Hole"
- "the witch of Wookey lives here"
- "Or even better Wookey Hole"
- "A trip to Wookey Hole"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Wookey
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Wookey?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wookey
Photos in WookeySee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues