"Ostia Antica" Ostia Antica by uglyscot
Ostia Antica Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 240 photos
Ostia Antica was once the port of Rome but is now some distance from the sea. It dates to about 4 Century BC.
There is a toilet near the ticket office and another at the cafeteria which is about half way into the site. Ticket costs 4 Euro. A map of the site is 2.50 Euro or guide book 7.50 Euro.
The site is huge , so be prepared to spend several hours if you wish to see it properly.
The theatre is the largest complete structure at the site. It is in the shape of a semicircle. the seats are of stone and face down to where the stage would have been.
There are a number of baths in Ostia Antica. The first is near the entrance : Terme dei Cisarii. Apart from the walls of the various rooms, there are mosaic floors with designs of chariots and mythical marine creatures and fish in monochrome.
- Pros:a great site to spend a day- as good as Pompeii
- Cons:too much to take in at a single visit
sewage and hygiene There were public toilets where people sat side by side. The seats [often marble] had a hole cut out,... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Ostia Antica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Let's move to Ostia - Ostia ANTICA !!"
- "Better than Pompeii?"
- "HALF DAY ON OSTIA ANTICA"
- "Landscape + Ruins : A Beautiful Combination"
- "Visit Ostia if you possibly can!"
- "Antic Rome's port"
- "Ostia Antica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ostia Antica
- Transportation in Ostia Antica
- Restaurants in Ostia Antica
- Shopping in Ostia Antica
- Warnings and Dangers in Ostia Antica
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Ostia Antica
- 3 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Ostia Antica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostia Antica
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 45 reviews, 191 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues