"An ancient city" Pavia by uglyscot
Pavia Travel Guide: 47 reviews and 199 photos
Pavia [ancient Ticinum] lies in south west Lombardy, 35 km from Milan. It is in a fertile area producing wine, cereals and dairy produce.
It has pre-Roman origins and was originally a military site. It became the capital of the Lombards after they conquered the region.
There are a number of fine churches and buildings dating back to the 12th century. It also has an old well-established university dating back to the 1300s. Before that there was a school from around 850 BC to 850 AD .
It was because my father was tracing his ancestors that he took me , my 4 children and my brother's two girls to find a marble stone where some one mentions a famous doctor that father thought was 'ours'. That was because there was an encyclopaedia inour family house with reference to one of Pavia's staff members who had our name,
All I really remember of the place is its age. It felt and looked old. It was not difficult to imagine centuries of students walking through the cloisters, though there was nobody around when we were there.
uglyscot's Related Pages
Pavia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Pavia: a small town with many surprises"
- "'City of a hundred towers'..."
- "Pavia - my home for 2005"
- "An ancient city"
- "Day Trip to Pavia."
- "A city across a River"
- "Some good reasons to visit "Oltrepò Pavese" area"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pavia
- Transportation in Pavia
- Restaurants in Pavia
- Shopping in Pavia
- Warnings and Dangers in Pavia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pavia
- 1 Reviews
- 2 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Pavia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pavia
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues