Khartoum Off The Beaten Path Tips by uglyscot Top 5 Page for this destination
Khartoum Off The Beaten Path: 16 reviews and 22 photos
Soba , beside the Nile in flood
The area called Soba lies about 12 km south of Khartoum Formerly agricultural land, it is now being encroached upon by housing and small industrial enterprises.
We lived here for 18 years when working at the Forest Rangers' College, This has now become part of Sudan University Faculty of Agriculture and Forestry. There is also a Research Station in the same complex. Nearby is Soba University Training Hospital, originally built by the Russians as a Chest Hospital.
Between these two places beside the river is the dairy farm and factory where Capo Yoghurt and milk products are produced. Entering this site is liking being taken into a different world- clean, organised and modern.
Along the river there used to be farms , but now resthouses are replacing these. Brick kilns and allotments too were to be found and when there was a high flood as in 1986, everything would be submerged in water. It used to be popular with expats for picnics, swimming and launching their boats, but I suspect all that has changed.
A few km further south is Soba Village which itself has been expanding over the past decades. And nearby is Soba Aradi where displaced people live.
2012 update. The whole area is different with a modern green golf course where there used to be the arboretum and railway. New housing complexes are springing uptoo, and it no longer seems a long way from Khartoum. It is being swallowed up !
More Reviews (66)
- See All football
- See All coffee , cakes and snacks
- See All Traffic lights
- See All In sickness and in health
- See All See Khartoum War Cemetery
uglyscot's Related Pages
Khartoum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where the Two Rivers Merge into the Nile"
- "Where Africa and Arabia meet at the Nile"
- "Where The Two Niles Meet"
- "Elephant Trunk"
- "Discovering Khartoum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khartoum
- Hotels in Khartoum
- Transportation in Khartoum
- Nightlife in Khartoum
- Restaurants in Khartoum
- Shopping in Khartoum
- Warnings and Dangers in Khartoum
- See All...
Explore the World
- Malta Hotels
- Blue Mounds State Park Hotels
- Pancharevo Hotels
- Malabuyoc Hotels
- Houston Off The Beaten Path
- Baltimore Off The Beaten Path
- State of Rajasthan Off The Beaten Path
- Nice Off The Beaten Path
- Albuquerque Off The Beaten Path
- Ubud Off The Beaten Path
- Vincennes Off The Beaten Path
- Phuket Off The Beaten Path
- Granada Off The Beaten Path
- Grand Cayman Off The Beaten Path
- Rochester Off The Beaten Path
- Arkansas Off The Beaten Path
Badges & Stats in Khartoum
- 67 Reviews
- 274 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 48 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Khartoum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khartoum
Videos in KhartoumSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 67 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 45 reviews, 191 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues
Latest Khartoum hotel reviews
- Al Salam Rotana Hotel
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 11, 2013
- Grand Holiday Villa Khartoum
- 30 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 9, 2013
- Burj Al-Fateh Hotel
- 67 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 30, 2013
- Hilton Khartoum
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
- 5M Hotel
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 22, 2012
- Regency Hotel
- 3 Reviews & Opinions