"Khartoum" Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum by uglyscot
Khartoum Travel Guide: 360 reviews and 773 photos
When I first arrived in Khartoum airport it was like stepping into an oven. Riding through town I saw everything in a sort of monochrome brown, like an old sepia photograph. Where were the brilliant bougainvillaeas, the bright tobes of the women? It took some time for my eyes to adapt to the bright sun, and see colour again.
Khartoum itself was laid out by the British in the shape of The Union Jack. There are some remains of the pattern visible, though many changes have taken place.
On the banks of the Nile lies the Republican Palace, and along the embankment are mahogany and other shade trees as well as hotels like the Coral [former Hilton] , Khartoum Hotel and The Grand Hotel [ now renamed the Grand Villa Hotel ]. Many ministries are also to be found here.
On the banks of the White Nile was a forest where picnics were held, but  this area is being developed to have a golf course and apartments.
The Republican Palace is a large white building built by the British in the 1800s. Its history includes being the place where General Charles [Chinese] Gordon met his death on the palace steps. He was speared to death by one of the Mahdi's followers.
Outside stand guards on sentry duty.
Inside the walls are splendid gardens.
The centre of Khartoum used to be the market. There was the vegetable market, the bus station for transport within the three towns, and the main market. Much of this has been destroyed or removed elsewhere to the suburbs. However the cloth market, the gold market and some dry goods traders still operate from here.
Tailors sit in the verandahs in the cloth street , sewing jellabiyas and shirts.
Outside the mosque, sellers of books, especially religious books, spread their wares.
- Pros:a developing city- a traditional people
- Cons:potholes, rickshas and pedestrians make a driving nightmare
- In a nutshell:old and new trying to blend
The outside is just a sign indicating that the cafe is upstairs. Then you enter a long restaurant with tables, ottoman... more travel advice
We decided to try this new Italian Restaurant. There were a lot of cars parked outside, including UN one, which looked a... more travel advice
- See All Mosquitos
- See All football
- See All Traffic lights
- See All In sickness and in health
uglyscot's Related Pages
Khartoum Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Where the Two Rivers Merge into the Nile"
- "Where Africa and Arabia meet at the Nile"
- "Where The Two Niles Meet"
- "Elephant Trunk"
- "Discovering Khartoum"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khartoum
- Hotels in Khartoum
- Transportation in Khartoum
- Nightlife in Khartoum
- Restaurants in Khartoum
- Shopping in Khartoum
- Warnings and Dangers in Khartoum
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Khartoum
- 70 Reviews
- 274 Photos
- 5 Forum posts
- 45 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (113)
Have you been to Khartoum?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khartoum
Videos in KhartoumSee All Videos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues