"Atbara- the former railway town" Atbara by uglyscot
Atbara Travel Guide: 13 reviews and 24 photos
What can I say about Atbara? We arrived off the ferry from Ed-Damer and drove up the steep slope. People , cattle, goats were waiting to take their turn on the boat. As we crawled up the hill, what did we see but a train passing in front of us. I always knew Atbara was associated with the railways. It was here that Kitchener made a bridge over the Nile to take the railway through to Khartoum on his way to defeat the Mahdist army. The bridge is still in use. the central area is for the railway, and there are two narrow lanes on either side for cars. Lorries find it difficult to cross except by ferry. Though now this will change with the new bridge at present under construction.
I first passed through Atbara by train on the way to Port Sudan. It was a major junction for trains going north and east. In 1946 the first trade union was founded , and the railway union was often a source of trouble for the government.
Atbara is now known for having the largest cement factory in the country. Now at least two new ones are under construction or have recently begun production. As a result of the oil industry, now there is a great demand for development in building both for industry and residential expansion.
On 8 April 1898 the Anglo- Egyptian forces , led by Kitchener defeated the Mahdist troops led by Mahmoud and Osman Digna. The two armies were fairly evenly matched in numbers [14,000 ] against the Sudanese with 12.000 infantry and 3000 cavalry. However, superior weapons won and in 45 minutes the Battle of Atbara was over. Mahmud was killed, and Osman Digna retreated with what was left of his men.
Only the bridge remains, soon to be superceded by a new one.
In the past the only easy way to get from Khartoum to Port Sudan was by rail via Atbara. Atbara was the HQ for the Sudan... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Atbara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Atbara...Train Graveyard"
- "Atbara- the former railway town"
- "Going north, going east"
- "Maqsood in Atbara"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Atbara
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Atbara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Atbara
- Posted in Travel Egypt Forum "Re: Abu Simbel or Cairo for last..."
- Uploaded a Video to Atbara
- updated a Atbara Travel Page "Atbara- the former railway town"
- Uploaded a Photo to "cross with the ferry"
- Wrote a Review the railway in Atbara Transportation
- Commented on one of uglyscot's Atbara travel pages
Photos in AtbaraSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues