"Port Sudan" Port Sudan by uglyscot
Port Sudan Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 107 photos
Port Sudan is the port of the Sudan. It is a container port where vessels from all over the world bring their goods. If sitting in a restaurant or cafe near the port , you can see the ships waiting for their turn to enter the docks, and watch others leaving..
The town itself is rather quiet with not much to see or do unless you take a trip out to the coral reefs, which are amazing or into the hills.
The people of Port Sudan are less friendly or helpful than those of the other parts of the country in my opinion.
However, it is interesting to see the different ethnic groups, especially the Rashaida who still keep their own traditions and dress that their ancestors brought with them from across the Red Sea; also the Hadendowa with their waistcoats, swords and wooden combs..
The eastern hills near Port Sudan have some of the strangest plants - the euphorbias. They look like cacti but as they grow older develop a trunk like a tree.
There are interesting places to visit in this rocky area like Erkowit which used to be where the British went in the winter.
The most noticeable building in Port Sudan is the Grain Silo that towers above everything at the docks. When I went first time we were taken round the inside. I was fine about seeing the ground floor , but refused to go up to the top. My husband took the two children we had then , and I was a nervous wreck until they came down- shaking , sweating and feeling ill- especially when I could look up and see them standing on a small balcony.
- Pros:the smell of the sea, the glorious reefs
- Cons:flies and crows
- In a nutshell:sea, sand and whatever you can find to do.
One of the things visitors to Port Sudan should be aware of is the pests. Crows have always been a nuisance,scavenging,... more travel advice
The Red Sea reefs near Port Sudan are still largely unspoiled ,or were a decade ago. The water is clear and warm. The... more travel advice
uglyscot's Related Pages
Port Sudan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Port Sudan"
- "Being a sponge in Port Sudan"
- "Red Sea Coast"
- "Port of Sudan"
- "Port Sudan"
- "Sudan's port"
- "PORT SUDAN"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Port Sudan
- Hotels in Port Sudan
- Transportation in Port Sudan
- Restaurants in Port Sudan
- Warnings and Dangers in Port Sudan
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Port Sudan
- 5 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (111)
Have you been to Port Sudan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Port Sudan
Photos in Port SudanSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 70 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 81 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 208 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues