"up in the hills" Erkowit by uglyscot
Erkowit Travel Guide: 0 reviews and 3 photos
Erkowit was where the British went to avoid the heat of Khartoum in pre-Independence days. There was a nice stone main building with smaller buildings scattered about. Each one had a bedroom and bathroom and I think a sitting area or balcony. It was my first experience of travel with Sudan.
To get there we took the train from Khartoum, via Atbara to Erkowit's nearest station. We were picked up there and driven to our accommodation. Food was served in the main building, all very British style.l
The surroundings were stony hills and the vegetation was mainly euphorbia, candelabra like trees, that begin as cactus like succulents.
It was cool and relaxing, and we did a lot of watching of birds and lizards.
Water for drinking was brought daily from Atbara by train, as was fish.
I know that the University of Khartoum used to take Botany students there to study the different species to be found in the region.
uglyscot's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Erkowit
- 0 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (39)
Have you been to Erkowit?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Erkowit
Top 10 Pages
- London Intro, 103 reviews, 354 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Khartoum Intro, 68 reviews, 274 photos, 10 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cairo Intro, 80 reviews, 222 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Dubai Intro, 64 reviews, 211 photos, 5 travelogues
- Cardiff Intro, 49 reviews, 207 photos, 9 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sudan Intro, 51 reviews, 177 photos, 9 travelogues
- Paris Intro, 29 reviews, 152 photos, 8 travelogues
- Edinburgh Intro, 26 reviews, 144 photos, 4 travelogues
- Warsaw Intro, 26 reviews, 131 photos, 8 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Omdurman Intro, 23 reviews, 102 photos, 4 travelogues